DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Miscellaneous

Yea Texas!!!!! Awesome game last night....wish I could say I even stayed up for it. We went to a football watch party but left by 9:00 to get the kiddos in bed. I was asleep by 10.

Just want to give a shout out to my sil. She moved down here to live with us at Thanksgiving (what? and I haven't blogged about it????) after a divorce. She wanted a chance to start over. Boy, has she! She has been working out hard, eating healthy, has lost 10 lbs., decided that her life's dream would be to become a flight attendant and has grown as an individual.

Well, she had two interviews yesterday with an airline. I am so proud of her! She has really worked hard and its paying off. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed and pray hard for the next week and hope she gets selected for training. Even if she doesn't, she is going to do well at whatever she chooses. She has started to make not just outer changes but inner ones that are going to make the biggest difference in her life.

I grew up with just brothers, no sisters and of course, am surrounded by males in my own home. I was a little nervous about sil moving here. Would we get along? How would this work? Well, its been great. She is a clean freak and I'm not but want my house clean so thats been awesome! I think we have become very close and I have thoroughly enjoyed the company and the feeling of having a sister without all the hair pulling fights and her stealing my boyfriend.

Anyone have any nightmare stories about a relative moving in with them???

9 Comments:

  • Amen for resilient women! I'm crossing my fingers for her and the job interviews. Here's my relative/roomie horror story:

    My dad came to "visit" and stayed almost three months. He would have stayed longer too if I hadn't finally put my foot down. He didn't have a car, a temp job, or even that much money to survive on. I later found out that he'd been stealing my car late at night to buy booze. It was just a bad time all around.

    By Blogger Tink, at 1/05/2006 7:28 AM  

  • This is a little-realized perk of living in a small New York City apartment. "Oh, we'd LOVE for you to stay with us--really, it's no trouble at all that Junior has to sleep with his feet elevated at an angle of precisely 27 degrees so that his sinuses can drain properly and he won't snore like a buzzsaw--and OF COURSE we won't mind if your hair dye stains our high-threadcount pillowcases that were a wedding present, but, you know, we just don't have the space. We'll be happy to host you for dinner, but then you'll have to get the hell out--I mean, retreat back to your hotel for Nighty-Night."

    All kidding aside, I'm glad you're having such a good time with your SIL. It sounds like a nice opportunity to become closer.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 1/05/2006 8:47 AM  

  • My in-laws had a house fire and moved in with us immediately after. They stayed here only 4 days and then rented an apartment by their house. I started to wonder if we smelled bad, but it is actually just that they don't want to inconvenience anyone and they needed to be close by during the rebuilding. So, I guess I have been lucky. Sounds like you have too--glad that worked out!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 1/05/2006 11:35 AM  

  • It would drive me INSANE to have someone stay with me. When my mom stays the night (on her way somewhere else) I about go bonkers. I feel bizarre, like she's in my turtle shell or something. I also feel obligated to talk or entertain her. When I stay at her place I just putter around like nothing's up. Probably because I grew up in the house, you think?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/05/2006 11:56 AM  

  • Good luck to your sister-in-law, but it doesn't sound like she needs it. Good for her.

    I don't have any horror stories although I've had extended stays with a few relatives when I was in college who might have some about me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/05/2006 12:20 PM  

  • I' m still having nightmares of Vince Young moving into the endzone last night...

    By Blogger Rock, at 1/05/2006 9:19 PM  

  • Much luck to the SIL! I think you guys will be great together!

    By Blogger Brooke, at 1/05/2006 9:27 PM  

  • I don't think you have enough space for my nightmare story. It is really that bad.

    Also, the Texas game? My husband stopped watching with a few minutes left because he thought it was "a done deal."

    Then they won and the poor guy missed it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/05/2006 10:22 PM  

  • My mother-in-law stayed with us for a few days last year when her furnace went out. Some highlights of the visit: Asking me if I have any plastic sheets, because she doesn't always make it to the bathroom in time (she was sleeping in my bed, while I slept on the loveseat & Hubby had the couch). I didn't have plastic sheets at the time, but I went out & bought them that night! In the morning, she told me she had used my wastebasket during the night because the 10 feet to the bathroom was too far. I made Hubby clean it, and was back at Walmart the next day buying a new wastebasket. I also pledged to my daughter that when I get to the point where I need Depends, I will make sure I buy them!

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 1/06/2006 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home