DebbieDoesLife

Monday, January 02, 2006

The Mountain

I saw the movie Brokeback Mountain yesterday. You know the one. Its garnering all sorts of nominations and is known as the "gay cowboy" movie.

The movie was well attended by lots of men and women who are let's say...playing for the other team. I went with two women (sil and friend) and I am sure now that everyone at the movie assumed we were also lesbians.

I stashed tissues from brunch into my purse cuz on Friday night two of the people at the dinner party I went to were gay partners. The one guy had already seen the movie 3 times! He warned me to bring kleenex.

It is a very different, yet good movie. I didn't cry during the movie. I was a little disappointed. I was READY to cry and felt a little ripped off. It was a very good movie though and we discussed different parts of it all the way home. Here comes the interesting part. After I got home I felt the need to tell my hubs the entire movie. During my retelling, I cried twice.

This story Brokeback Mountain is a love story. Its a love story like any other. Our main characters cannot be together though and that makes it heart breaking. Its not just a story about being gay so please don't let that stop you from seeing it if you are a homophobe. If you are a homophobe please don't visit my blog.

7 Comments:

  • I an one of the women who went to the movie with Debbie and agree - it was a very moving, very well done movie that told a heartbreaking story - whichever team you play on.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/02/2006 7:38 AM  

  • I've heard that it is sad and wrenching, but I wondered if it would be quite so sad and wrenching to hetero people. But now that I've said that, I remember I bawled in Philadelphia. Sad is sad, and if the acting is good, unrequited love should always tug at the heartstrings.

    By Blogger Mignon, at 1/02/2006 10:53 AM  

  • You know, I wasn't planning on seeing it because it seems so overhyped, but you make it sound very sweet and sad, and I may have to see it after all, now. We went to see Munich yesterday and there was a movie previewed called Breakfast on Pluto that looks very cute as well, about a cross-dressing Irish boy. Finally, some more interesting stuff at the theatre these days!

    I love that you say "If you are a homophobe please don't visit my blog." Just because it's very straightfoward, it made me laugh. It does make you wonder if there are any homophobes reading our blogs though, huh? The idea never occurred to me before. :) I guess I'm a little naive.

    By Blogger Mrs. Harridan, at 1/02/2006 11:54 AM  

  • I've been wanting to see it, but I know it's kind of a downer. I guess I should wait until I'm in the mood for a good cry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/02/2006 6:43 PM  

  • Agree with TB. PMS has already kicked me in overdrive. I think Hoop would kill me if I added crying to the yelling lol. I'll put it on the list for "Safer" times though!

    BTW:Tag...

    ...list 5 weird things about yourself, tag five other people to do the same, and then comment on their blogs that they have been tagged.

    By Blogger Tink, at 1/03/2006 10:49 AM  

  • Loved your last line...and you know where I stand on this.

    Tell it, sister!

    By Blogger Brooke, at 1/03/2006 3:56 PM  

  • I want to see the show, but I am not eager to get a sitter for the heathens, just to go to see any movie...it would have to involve sex and a massage. I'll just order it from Amazon in a couple of months.

    I love the last line *if you're a homophobe don't read my blog.* yeah, they're out there and they have no business on my blog either. I saw a gay friendly tag you can stick on your blog and I may have to accessorize.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 1/05/2006 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home