DebbieDoesLife

Monday, December 26, 2005

Another Christmas

Another one come and gone....for some reason this year it just didn't feel like Christmas to me. Could have been the 70 degree weather. Made for great tennis but caroling and hot cocoa just wasn't sounding good.

Could the anticlimactic feeling have anything to do with my youngest announcing that he "doesn't think there really is a Santa Claus." The rest of us all yelled at him that he'd better believe or he wouldn't get anything. You've never seen an 8 year old retract a statement faster.

Originally, I was supposed to have a housefull but then my brother and his family weren't able to come at the last minute. It was disappointing. I like a house full of people. I like chaos, noise and the inevitable crying of one of the kids falling down, getting too rough, or just too tired. I like the constant talk of food that a house full of people causes. Every conversation is about "what will we eat at the next meal?" Even though I am trying to be good on the diet I know that Christmas with a house full of people means bacon, eggs, pancakes, ham, potatoes, rolls, and buttloads of desserts, and fudge - lots of fudge.

My parents still came. Christmas was quite organized and controlled. We made it to Christmas Eve service. The program went off without a hitch. I made dinners that would make Rachel Ray or even Julia proud. Christmas morning, presents were unwrapped one at a time with appropriate oohs and aahs.

I guess I like the unplanned events. The things that happen that make a Christmas worth remembering. Like the time my parents couldn't make it in until Christmas day because of the weather. When they did arrive we were so thankful and anxious to see them. Or the Christmas we all slept at my parents and my oldest (who was 4) slept in a box. He wanted to sleep in this box in the room with me and the hubs. My hubs and I got to sleep in a twinbed that same night. Uncomfortable as hell. But we remember it to this day.

I like the spontaneous things in life. This Christmas was perfect. Maybe too perfect. If ya know what I mean.

9 Comments:

  • diet? christmas? in the same post?

    woman, you need a smackin'.

    Also, what IS UP WITH THIS WEATHER. One does not need to wear shorts on Christmas day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/26/2005 10:47 PM  

  • Yes, the 77 degree weather is new for me and I just could not believe it was Christmas.

    I am glad things went so well, I am sure you will remember it anyway. 8 years old and he does not believe? That is only a couple of Chrismas' away for us.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 12/27/2005 12:12 AM  

  • I DID THINK OF SOMETHING!! We had to set our frickin' alarm for 1:00 AM because our youngest child who kinda believes would not go to sleep!!!!! We even gave him Dimetapp trying to make him sleep. Santa was tired, man. That's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 12/27/2005 7:31 AM  

  • Big family holidays are the best! I'm glad yours was so lovely.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/27/2005 8:37 AM  

  • I'm glad your Christmas was pleasant, despite the lack of chaos... You're just like me btw. I want roughhousing and wrapping paper tube fights with people making stabs at the leftover ham and telling bawdy stories in code so the kids don't catch on. Isn't that what holidays are made of? Loved the kid-in-a-box story. Oh man that's cute.

    By Blogger Tink, at 12/27/2005 8:51 AM  

  • Chaos reigns, the more the merrier, my welcome mat tells the truth. I would much rather have a packed house than a calm house any day.

    This year we were down from 22 to 16 on Thanksgiving and it just wasn't the same. Much too quiet and the ones who didn't come are the ones who really chow down so I felt less appreciated.

    Yeah, I even invite the neighbors just to insure a good crowd.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/27/2005 10:08 AM  

  • Sounds like fun- 1 am that is. Blech. I personally HATE SANTA CLAUS and yes everyone tells me that I will get coal in my damn stocking- so I don't hang one. Ha. I tell my kids the legend of the Bishop Nicholas in Turkey who gave out presents to the poor, then he croaked, and was "Sainted" or whatever. This somehow morphed into Santa Claus. Anyway, I don't like to tell most parents about it because they get all miffed and think I'm going to... tell their kids!! What kind of bitch would I be if I did THAT?! Even my sister in law freaked when we were talking about it. When Santa showed up, I just said "Hey! I wanna pet a reindeer! Where is it??" and let her nine year old go right on over and talk about the Bratz she wanted. Sheesh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/27/2005 10:21 AM  

  • Sounds great! So glad you had a such a nice holiday.

    (But nothing like having to sleep two to a twin bed to remind you how much you love each other!)

    By Blogger Brooke, at 12/27/2005 3:15 PM  

  • Christmas chaos rules! Love the wrapping paper tube fights!

    By Blogger Arabella, at 12/27/2005 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home