DebbieDoesLife

Monday, December 12, 2005

Sharing the Spirit

Yesterday after church my son and I and the rest of the church youth went to an apartment complex to bring Christmas to some low income, low English Speaking folks.

This apartment complex seems to cater to single parents with low income. Its nice but from the get go my extreme Anglo type child is noticing the cars are "different." Envision lots of low rider type of vehicles. I told him that I don't think they let just anyone move in here. Our church adopted this complex along with a faction of others a long time ago and I think its a pretty selective process to get in. There is a community center that our church takes a day of the week each summer to bring lunch and play games with the kids (many are home alone while mom or dad works).

A friend and I adopted an entire family. They had a list with clothes and sizes. They also wanted canned goods and a chicken. I envisioned bringing a live chicken in a cage but Kroger's was out. I settled for a frozen baking hen. I also filled up a big basket with food, then shopped and bought each one an item of clothing and then each another goodie. A toy for the kids and lotions and bath stuff for the women and aftershave for the dad.

We arrived at the apartment with goodies in hand. We knocked and a little cutie who according to my list is 4 answered the door. We walked in and the two women were smiling broadly. One is pregnant and already has a baby of 9 months. The other is the mother of the little boy. The man wasn't there. The apartment was impeccably clean. One sofa, a t.v. that didn't have an antenna or cable (think lots of snow, people) and a small kitchen table. One bedroom. Preggo mom must sleep on the sofa.

Luckily preggo mom spoke pretty good English. They were so happy and sweet. We took pictures together and hugged. They were thrilled to be recipients. It was a very heart warming experience. I was glad they were so nice because I was imagining how if I was the recipient that I would be embarrassed and uncomfortable.

Everyone needs a hand at some point in their lives. I do not begrudge folks who are trying to do better a hand up so they can get out of the place they are in. These looked like good people. They are new to the U.S. Dad must have a job. They want a better life and education for their kids. Just like we do.

2 Comments:

  • Good commentary. Thanks for taking Angela with you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2005 6:48 AM  

  • It's wonderful that you include you son in such a worthwhile activity. I donate to Toys for Tots each year and just did my shopping on Friday. I was hormonal and ended up walking down the aisles of the toy store, crying and thinking about underpriviledged kids not having toys on christmas morning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2005 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home