DebbieDoesLife

Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Horrible Image

I really don't mean for my blog to become K-9 corner or anything but this just happened yesterday and it was quite traumatic for me.

I was going down a 2 lane road and traffic was moving at around 45 mph. In front of me was a white SUV and then to my right was a blue suburban just a bit behind the white suv. From the left I see a large husky mix dog enter the other two lanes of traffic. I have the 8 year old riding with me and I start quietly but my voice begins rising, "No! No! Don't come out here!"

White SUV slows as the dog makes it across the first two lanes. He makes it in front of the white SUV but I am watching this play out and I know the blue suburban CAN'T SEE HIM. I scream at the top of my lungs, David covers his eyes cuz we know what we are about to witness and BAM, that poor doggie hit the front of the sub and then the two tires on the left side ran over him. I was screaming over and over and came to a stop. The dog raised his head and his tail. I realized I was right in front of a vet, so drove right up to the front door and jumped out. I ran inside and told them what happened. They didn't hesitate, they hollered to the back, "Hit by car!" and two more people came dashing out. We ran to the road and they picked up the poor dog who by this times looks dead. He was still breathing but when they picked him up he was really limp and urine came pouring from him as his bladder released. I offered money to euthanize or whatever (there's no way this dog was going to survive this, that was obvious) and the very nice vet said she didn't think they would even have time to do that. He was going quickly.

I was on my way to meet my oldest son for my birthday lunch (my birthday is Monday but he was busy with ROTC stuff all this weekend and college) and as you can imagine I was a big teary mess when I got there. David kept patting me on the back and Chris hugged me. I am such a dog lover and this was just awful. The way he even bounced after the car ran over him. AND what upset me too was that the driver never stopped!! How can you do that??? Not even slow down just to make sure the poor thing wasn't suffering??

The dog had a collar on and I think I will go back to the vet office and take them a Christmas goodie, cookies or something to say thank you. They didn't hesitate or question me just jumped right into action. They didn't even act worried about who would pay for the dog. Have any of you actually hit a dog or a cat? How did you handle it? Obviously I would traumatized for life.

7 Comments:

  • That is so hard. Our Beagel was hit by a speeding driver when he got the leash away from our son, this past spring. We rushed him to the vet, but he passed away. It was just so hard, especially because the kids saw the whole thing. It may have been 5 months ago, but they will still cry over Toby. They may be only pets, but they are still family.

    By Blogger Crazy Lady, at 12/08/2005 11:23 AM  

  • (I just read the post by DebbieDoesLife)

    Can you imagine my horror, pain and shock?

    http://www.krqe.com/video/expanded.asp?ID=6836

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/15/2007 1:56 AM  

  • Did you witness this accident?

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 6/15/2007 6:16 AM  

  • No. This accident tragically took the life of a close, beloved family member.

    I'm still VERY upset with local media anchor and APD spokesperson for their admitted "insensitivity" and lies in the news report. What they did is criminal.

    I'm almost certain the investigation was botched also. My investigation however is far from over and I don't care how long it may take to expose the WHOLE truth. God help me see that justice is served.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/16/2007 3:14 AM  

  • I am so sorry for your loss. He was too young to die and it sounds like a horrible, senseless accident. Especially tragic since the SUV left the scene.

    I hope your family is able to get through this somehow.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/16/2007 6:36 AM  

  • A friend of mine was using my computer and I didn't realize she signed in. The last comment was not from Terri but from me.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 6/16/2007 6:39 AM  

  • Thank you. He was a wonderful young man.

    I feel as though I've hijacked your blog and apologize for doing so. Have been searching "White SUV" on the net and just found my way here. I feel like I'm still in shock. I miss his beautiful smile so much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/16/2007 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home