DebbieDoesLife

Monday, December 19, 2005

The Best & The Worst

Please share! On Crazy Momcat's blog she wrote about some crazy gifts they got and it got me to thinking. I've gotten my share of weird and random stuff.

The worst? Definately from my Step MIL who had never met me at this point. She sent me and my husband used clothes! You could tell they were previously worn, no tags and had lost that "new car" smell. Also, the jacket was like 3 sizes too big for me! The woman had never met me!!! Why on earth would she sent me this? We ended up laughing our asses off about the whole thing.

One of the best? My dad is not a sentimental type of guy. He doesn't say I love you to me and I am okay with that cuz I know he would lay down his life for me in a heartbeat. He just isn't comfortable saying it. That's another post. The Christmas when I was about 17 he wrapped up his garage door opener and put it under the tree. He gave me his spot in the garage. To this day, I feel like it was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. Until I moved out, I never had to scrape ice off my car after that or get into a car that was so hot the skin peeled off your thighs.

Share - please!!!

8 Comments:

  • First, I really liked your comment on Soul Gardening's sad post about her mom.
    Second, weird gifts? Everything my MIL has ever bought for me off of the Crap Shopping Network. Plastic, inaccurate globe, leaking measuring spoons, giant breakable glass thing filled with water (with a 3 year old and a baby in the house?), and a porceline bearded old man with a reindeer that, when plugged in, glows blue.

    By Blogger Mignon, at 12/19/2005 4:33 PM  

  • An enormous, fluorescent pink tie-dyed T-shirt that smelled like ketchup, and made all the other clothes in the drawer smell like ketchup, too (I have NO IDEA why, and, frankly, don't really want to think about it too much).

    The puppy was a pretty good gift.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 12/19/2005 6:41 PM  

  • My grandfather's wife is a notorious regifter. We never know what she's going to send. Sometimes it's butter spreaders with tacky little angel handles, or puffy purses that look like they were stitched by the blind. The best one yet was a huge frame made entirely out of porcelain pigs. Pigs. Like that's my motif or something lol.

    By Blogger Tink, at 12/19/2005 11:10 PM  

  • Came from Ditsy Chick... um, let's see. I always get jewelry from my mother and I never wear any, just a thumb ring, and it's white gold, not yellow which I hate. I have lots of gold stuff. I put it in my box and leave it there. And she likes to by me jackets and clothes- you know the kind, they weigh forty-six pounds from all the beads and sequins. I love my mom, but I swear she has no taste. And my grandmother, who also means well, gives out those "free gift with purchase" items as presents. I get weirder stuff every year. Oh, or the plastic canvas stiched stuff like a gaudy box to cover a kleenex box. Yipes. Best present, though, was when I was eight and I got my first bike. It was like wonderful freedom at last!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/19/2005 11:16 PM  

  • Thanks for mentioning my blog! Yes, we've had some doozies in the bad department. (I didn't even list mine on there, actually.)

    As for good, my Grandmother gave me some jewelry of hers and the first check my grandfather ever wrote to me for work I did for him on his ranch. These were just before she passed away, and they mean so much to me to this day.

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 12/20/2005 12:27 AM  

  • Mignon - I love your name for QVC, The Crap Shopping Network.

    A t-shirt that smelled like ketchup?? Ewwww!

    pig frames? Kleenex boxes? Well I must say that I am starting to feel a little better about my crap gifts.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 12/20/2005 6:43 AM  

  • I got a weird ceramic hobo/clown sculpture with a clock in it from a distant aunt. It was so scary looking and not even close to my taste that I didn't even bring it home. Just took it straight to good will.
    I know it's the thought that counts, but jeez. I hope she doesn't think of us this year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/20/2005 10:35 AM  

  • Somehow hubby's grandma manages to give the most godawful chocolates or candy ever. It's a tradition. I mean really, how can you go wrong with candy? Different brands, different kinds, but it never ever fails to taste like poo.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 12/20/2005 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home