DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

More than $1

Listening to talk radio on the way home last night....

Phil (the host): So, you owe $3200 in back child support?

Larry: Yes.

Phil: How can you justify spending $2,500 on a prostitute then?

Larry: I didn't plan to. I just needed her to accompany me to a company party. But afterwards, in my car, she started asking me what I wanted. Then she took her top off. You couldn't have done anything else either man, those babies were right there in my face with the headlights on!

Phil: So you ended up spending 6 hours with her and the party was only one and a half hours of the time?

Larry: Yes. You couldn't have done it any different either. Unless you were gay. And I'm not gay. She took her top off and I couldn't help myself.

The conversation went round and round. Larry is obviously a scumbag asshole who applies situational ethics. He truly believed it was not his fault it was the hooker's fault that they had sex (in the Dollar Store parking lot! Guess everything IS NOT just a Dollar!).

I was introduced to situational ethics in college and was just as shocked then. In a communication class the professor gave us a scenario. Here it is: a student missed a test and had to retake in the teacher's office.The teacher had a class and couldn't stay so sat the student down and told them to just leave the test on the desk when they finished. The teacher left. The student realizes the answer key is laying on the desk to the test! Who's fault is it if the student cheats??

I'd be interested to hear your arguements.....

8 Comments:

  • I'm pretty old fashioned when it comes to that....it's the student's fault if he/she cheats. And it's scary how easy it is to cheat these days - everything from using the internet to find an already written research paper to text messaging test answers to a friend. It's a much more difficult world in which to raise our kids!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2005 7:39 AM  

  • In my college class, you would be surprised how many people argued that it was the teacher's fault if the student cheated - not the students!! This is part of the problem in the world today. Everything wrong in our lives is someone else's fault. We have lost the ability to take responsibility!

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 12/14/2005 7:49 AM  

  • My morals are screaming that it's the student's fault. But the teacher also had a responsibility to keep the test as regimen as possible. If for nothing more than to make it fair for the students who previously took it. To leave the answers in the open was pretty negligent. God, I can't believe how corrupt our world has become when this even needs to be a discussion. Great point though!

    By Blogger Tink, at 12/14/2005 8:04 AM  

  • "Everything wrong in our lives is someone else's fault. We have lost the ability to take responsibility!"

    This really gets to the heart of the issue, doesn't it? There should be no question of fault in a situation like that, just right or wrong. It's pretty black and white.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/14/2005 9:40 AM  

  • It would be the student's fault, for sure, but I can remember those times when I would have LOVED to have found the answers sitting right there for me! (I never did, and finished college the old-fashioned way: studying!)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/14/2005 10:26 AM  

  • Um, it would be Bush's fault!

    Because EVERYTHING is his fault!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/15/2005 9:20 AM  

  • As a bank Branch Manager, we were told that if we ever suffered a robbery, that would count against our loss budget; thereby affecting a potential bonus because we ALLOWED it to happen. I found this INSANE.

    Their reasoning was that we didn't comply with safety regulations effectively enough. I could see that if for instance I just left our cash shipment sitting on the counter or something, but more often than not, it's just your average desperate drug addict fucking up your day.

    Both Wordgirl and tb make some valid points.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 12/18/2005 8:38 AM  

  • The student's fault. Period.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 12/19/2005 3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home