DebbieDoesLife

Monday, December 19, 2005

Searching for the Reason

I feel like I have been swept up by a huge tidal wave (I would use the word Tsunami but feel it has been overused in the past 365 days) of Christmas. I am so caught up in "feeling" like I HAVE to do certain things like buy the right gift, attend a gabillion parties, dress a certain way, bake cookies and enjoy doing it dammit, that I feel like I haven't slowed down enough to just let it sink in.

This is my time to enjoy my family and my friends. I'm thankful for all of them every day of the year but this is a time to show it.

I realized that I have bought my children almost everything they wanted (no XBOX 360 though, uh, the grinch and his cute little dog Max must have stolen it!). But there is nothing special to them just from me. Nothing that would speak of how they own my heart and my life would truly be nothing without them.

Remember, here, I have all boys. Boys who are not at a sentimental age. But I don't want that to stop me. I have tried to think of a special gift. Girls are easy. Jewelry works wonders with any girl. Mine don't have anything pierced (yet!) so jewelry is out. Don't offer a watch cuz kids today don't wear them. Look around. You know why? They use their cell phones instead for the time.

If anyone has any good ideas please pass them on to me. I am at the point of thinking that maybe I will just write each one a letter. That's what I do. I write (for $$ usually too!) so I thought maybe I could write each one a note. Touch on things that have happened in the last year - watching football games, watching one graduate, and so on. I don't know of anything I could buy that would do all of this for me.

6 Comments:

  • Write those letters - good idea. Maybe I will do that myself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/19/2005 7:34 AM  

  • The letters are a great idea. My Mom used to write me a 3 pager every year around my birthday. You know, I still have them too. They would be one of the first things I'd grab if the house ever caught on fire. The dogs being first... Oh yeah, and Hoop. *Eye roll*

    By Blogger Tink, at 12/19/2005 9:42 AM  

  • Sounds like a really lovely idea. They're lucky boys!

    (But my best girlfriend who also has three boys is coming to visit today and I'll ask her if SHE has any ideas!) :)

    By Blogger Brooke, at 12/19/2005 1:41 PM  

  • I love the idea of a letter. They may not appreciate it now, but they will when they're older. l

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/19/2005 2:41 PM  

  • I love the letter idea. I have 3 boys (and no girls and I am DONE - do you hear me God? D-O-N-E) that I love with all my soul.

    I scrapbook, because, I think one day one of them might appreciate having something written down, to rebut all the bad stories they will have about their wicked, evil mother.

    I may borrow the letter idea from you in a couple of years (when they can all read). ~Get a journal and write the first couple of entries for them.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 12/19/2005 3:31 PM  

  • I like the letter idea, too. The only suggestion I have is that it might be fun to add some old, long-forgotten photos of them with you when they were babies.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 12/19/2005 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home