DebbieDoesLife

Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Own Little "Crash"

I think people are racist without even realizing it. They think they aren't, but humans can't help themselves (see the movie "Crash" for confirmation of this). Like seeks like. That's just how our brains work so we cannot help a certain extent of our behavior.

But, sometimes it can be a little funny. Take my mother (please!)...

First, a little background. My parents are white and from the mid-west where at the time they were growing up, there was no other color to be found. Everyone was pale. My parents are 70 and 71 now, so have tended to grow up with certain ideas about other races but no real firsthand experience. I guess what I am asking is please forgive them. They know not what they do.

Here is our phone conversation the other day:

My Mom: "Your dad and I went to see two movies this week." (that is a big deal in itself)

Me: What movies?

My Mom: "Fools Gold" - which was cute and just o.k., and "Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins". That movie was so funny! We laughed and laughed! You know what? It made me wish I had a black friend."

Me: (in horror) "Mom! You can't say that! That's racist!"

My Mom: "No, it isn't! They are funny people!"

My parents are a lost cause. Don't even get me started on my dad and his rampages about the "homosexuals who are taking over the city council" in his town. The funny thing about that? My parents closest neighbors and friends are lesbians. They have these two women over for dinner all the time.

I suppose I am racist also, but I hope only in this - I do not like people who act like trash, but trash comes in all colors. I guess I am a full-fledged, card carrying, Britney Spears racist.

6 Comments:

  • You are exactly right. We're all racist we just don't want to see the fine print.

    I don't understand why it's such a bad thing to want to be around people who are like me? If they happen to have different color skin, that's ok.

    I have other opinions on this.

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/16/2008 12:08 PM  

  • I also think it depends on what part of the country they're from. My wife, a Cajun, often remarks that the makeup of the people aren't the same here in Texas vs. her native Louisiana. Many of her friends were black there, and the lack of the same here is something we comment on often.

    By Blogger Spamboy, at 2/16/2008 5:51 PM  

  • I comletely agree...trash is trash & good people is good people no matter the color of the skin it comes in. There is good and bad in every ethnicity and culture. As a teacher of children with disabilities, one of my loftyist goals is to educate these kids neurotypical peers about tolerance and acceptance of differences...I teaches classes called, "Sensitivity Trainings". I think we could all use a little sensitivity training. These peers are ablsolutely awesome to my students once they have the info....they just need the info! AS for the older generation....well, they just weren't educated or even exposed too these kids. I took my students (most with autism) to a nursing home to sing at Christmas. One sweet, pink haired old women innocently and guiltlessly announced, "It was nice to have the retards visit." Yup.....they are an understandably lost cause but it is up to all of us to see to it that our current generation is educated past the ignorance.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2008 12:35 PM  

  • I'm totally bias against trash too. I refuse to buy anything with Britney Spears or Paris Hilton on the cover. So it looks like I won't be buying magazines for awhile...

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/18/2008 8:12 AM  

  • Oh, and btw... We should start an online book club. Or would that be too geeky? I can't decide. ;)

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/18/2008 8:13 AM  

  • Next time you get to NYC you should go and see Avenue Q. It's got a great song in it called "Everyone's a Little Racist." Hilarious!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 2/25/2008 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home