DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Crow Pie, Crow Salad...


Capture one plump crow

You would think that I would love the taste of crow by now since I have had to eat my words many times. It's never pleasant - the whole chewing and swallowing of one's own
words. It doesn't matter how big one's mouth is - its still a tough swallow.
Let me explain: In Texas, parents can opt to teach their own child to drive. It is a "Parent Taught Driver's Ed" and I have always disagreed with it. These are the same parents who are most likely rude drivers themselves. Nothing like passing on the habit of flipping someone the bird when they cut you off. These are probably the same parents who cannot tell their children "NO," yet, they are being entrusted with my safety and everyone elses on the road.

I have often expressed my disapproval of this type of Driver's Ed over the regular class taught. Loudly. Stridently. Vociferously. Maybe even obnoxiously. I love the true Driver's Ed class. They scare the piss out of the kids by showing them horrific accident scenes. They put them on simulators where they get to experience running over a little girl on a tricycle. Good stuff. You see, I want my boys to take this priviledge seriously.

Bring water to a boil then add crow with a dash of salt

Seems middle son, who has turned 15, is extremely busy with sports and school, making it difficult to fit in the traditional class. We started to realize that Parent Taught Driver's Ed may be our only alternative.

Now it must be said, that this child would be my ONE who will listen to us. He is very conscientious and safety conscious. He is a good boy. If I truly thought he would be an ass behind the wheel then I would not do it.

Boil until soft, then allow to cool before cramming down throat

And, my husband has agreed to be his Parent/Teacher. Together they will do very well. My husband is all about Following The Rules. This is the man who flips on his turn signal to turn into our driveway when no one is on our street! He has received one ticket EVER in his life and it was for doing 45 in a 35 (hardly, a speed demon). Together, I think they will make a competent, safe, well-learned team.
As for me, I am hoping that none of my friend's find out.




7 Comments:

  • I am also getting ready to teach my fourth and final child to drive - she turns 15 in February. You would think it would be a piece of cake by this time. NOT. There is something about getting in a car with an over confident 15 year old that adds gray hair to my head every time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/09/2008 6:36 AM  

  • You might be interested to know that driver's ed is not even a choice at the high schools in the city where I live. I had to teach both my children to drive and it was quite the interesting experience. I almost had a major stroke several times. I don't envy your husband.

    By Blogger Jan Ross, at 1/09/2008 9:25 AM  

  • We were going to teach my step-daughter at home driver's ed. It was driven soley as an economic need. It was cheaper and we knew someone who had done it.

    After a few lessons, I think we need to send her to Driver's Ed and for EXACTLY the same reasons you describe. I think she would learn from someone who is not her parents and it's way more structured than I have time to give. Plus I hate paper work.

    I think it does boil down to the kid and your kid fits the mold, mine, unfortunately, does not!

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/09/2008 12:33 PM  

  • Whew! Now that'll be an adventure! ;^) My dad taught me how to drive in an empty parking lot. He had me stop at various lines, and if I went over, he'd say, "Well, you just killed a family in the crosswalk." Nice. I think I had to take a driver's training class in addition, though. That was good because the training car had dual controls so the instructor could save us from ourselves.

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 1/10/2008 8:37 PM  

  • I hear it tastes just like chicken...

    I took regular Driver's Ed at school but my Dad the cop also taught me to drive. I think a regular class is really important. Especially if you don't have a law enforecement professional laying around. But it sounds like your husband is well qualified. Best of luck to both of them.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 1/10/2008 11:42 PM  

  • Good luck with that method. I've only known one family who didn't regret it. I hope you guys make it so that I can say I know two of them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/14/2008 10:11 PM  

  • I hope it works for you. I totally agree--it sounds scary to have some of these drivers teaching their own kids how to drive. Especially since teenagers naturally drive worse than those who teach them how, so it can become this huge downward spiral. Remind me not to drive in Texas...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2008 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home