DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Whoville

Well, how was everyone's Christmas? Mine was good. I was getting a little worried that I wasn't going to get that feeling. You know, that "tingly-OMG-Christmas is almost here" feeling? It was as if the Grinch had visited my house and stolen Christmas.

The middle son and I both admitted last Friday that we didn't have it. It just didn't feel like Christmas. No magic. We had done all the requisite decorating, purchasing of the roast beast, oodles of presents, so many stocking stuffers they won't all fit, Christmas program attendance, lighting of the home etc. etc. etc. But, the feeling had not arrived.

Maybe it was due to the fact no one at my house believes in Santa anymore. Why is it that our whole goal as parents is to see that our children grow up, but when they do we are disappointed?

Then my parents came into town. On Sunday morning my mother went with me to church and helped me with my 4th grade Sunday School class. I am sure she got tired of me spouting off to anyone who would listen that "This is my mom!" (okay, she probably didn't get tired of it!). My mom is a very youngish 70 years of age but I know that our time is running out. Our time for "good times" is disappearing. Maybe we will have another 10 good years but I doubt it. How much longer will my 71 year old dad be able to make the 450 mile drive to my house? Our time together is gold to me. I don't have a sister and I don't have a daughter. My mother is my only female relationship that I have (other than friends) right now. I can always hope for a great daughter in law but there's no guarantee of that happening.

Our mother/daughter pedicures yesterday were sweeter when I know it could be 6 months before I see her again. My realization has made me a nicer person. I am a bit more patient with their quirks (which my brothers and I LOVE to belly laugh over - in fact I had my brother in tears doing an imitation of my mother just the other night!). But for all their idiosyncracies, they would give their lives for me and my brothers and honestly did their very best as parents...and they are mine. They are my safety net, my 24/7 cheer squad, my unconditional love. So, yes, Christmas arrived "It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes, or bags! " **

**from The Grinch.

7 Comments:

  • If I told you that I was in Hawaii for Christmas, but not with my family, and that it sucked major puka shells, would that make you feel any better?

    Merry Merry everything and Happy New Year. May it keep us all safe.

    By Blogger Brenda, at 12/27/2007 5:29 PM  

  • My Christmas was half blah, half good. The stuff with my kids, who are still young enough to believe, was great. My son we thought might not make it through this year without discovering it. But, he did and it was wonderful. My family celebrations were filled with stress and anxiety as a loved one's health is deteriorating and everyone is stressed about how best to care for him and help him.

    So glad you found the spirit, even if it was late-coming. Have an even better New Years!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 12/27/2007 9:25 PM  

  • Yeah. What you said.

    My mom's been gone for a long time now, and I still miss her.

    But your words struck a chord...I need to enjoy the time with my own daughter before she grows up and goes to college in 10 months. Instead of spending every waking moment wanting to strangle her with a garotte.

    By Blogger Candy, at 12/28/2007 8:47 AM  

  • Sorry to hear it took so long for that Christmas spirit to arrive. I got in the mood early, right around Thanksgiving when we put up the tree and started playing Christmas carols. By the time Christmas arrived, I was actually a bit burned-out on the whole holiday. Oops.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/28/2007 5:02 PM  

  • I have one left at the house who still believes in Santa and I have wondered what parents of teens do when that mystical part of Christmas moves on. What do you focus on?

    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/31/2007 4:19 AM  

  • we just got back. Christmas was fun, spent at the brothers and then after that it was all stress free!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/31/2007 2:43 PM  

  • Happy New Year!

    By Blogger Beulah, at 12/31/2007 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home