DebbieDoesLife

Monday, January 21, 2008

Just Say It


Song lyrics.

I tend to be an innocent when it comes to song lyrics. I go for the superficial and think they simply mean exactly what is there. So, imagine my dismay when years ago, someone told me that ZZ Top was NOT buying the girl a real pearl necklace!

Go to http://www.urbandictionary.com/ sometime when you are really bored and you can look up all kinds of stuff. I do believe it is all written by guys. For example, the pearl necklace reference. The writer of the definition waxes on how women love this. That it is the ultimate gift from a guy to a girl. Right. Go to the jewelry store and put some real money down instead, cheap bastard!

The latest one to shock my sensitive system is from the ubiquitous Crank That Soulja Boy song. Do you know what a Superman is according to the urban dictionary? I cannot even bring myself to tell you. Go look it up and come back. I'll wait.

What is really disgusting is that this song is being play EVERYWHERE. I have seen pro football players dancing during a game to it. I have seen 7 year old little girls bust a move at a birthday party to this song. The supersoaker the dude is singing about? He is not talking about a plastic toy gun!

And the song Umbrella by Rihanna. Guess what? She is NOT talking about rain gear. Personally, I don't know if I believe this or not, but when she offers for him to stand under her umbrella that is supposed to mean something else - you know, down there.

Now I am hyper-suspicious about all songs. I'm afraid to walk around singing anything out loud. What is Bubbly really?
What about Girlfriend by Avril? What kind of girlfriend??
So, what does Pop, Lock and Drop it really mean?

Do our kids know what these songs mean? I am afraid to even ask mine. I don't want to start a conversation I don't have a strong enough stomach to finish. Full blown paranoia is setting in.

8 Comments:

  • I think it means we are getting old. We had the same stuff in our day, just different and the internet wasn't around to keep track of them. I do have to say you find A LOT more of them in Rap than you do in modern Rock. Hey even Rock and Roll itself is a euphemism for sex.

    I remember learning what a pearl necklace was too. Giving one was even more fun ( giggle).

    But ya know, I posted about musicals and my 4 year old and how I don't think Grease is appropriate for her. Why, because that 1978 musical has tons of sexual innuendos.

    Let's face it sex is going on all the time, we are just a nation of prudes ... maybe ...


    ~Jef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2008 3:54 PM  

  • You mean Superman isn't Clark Kent??? I looked it up - wow am I naive. I supposed it's too much to hope that my two teenagers don't know what it means.....major yuck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2008 6:51 PM  

  • OMG! I have (more then once) been known to bust the vocals of Soulja Boy along with my 11 year old daughter on the way home from school! Eeeeeeewwwwww! Superman??? How did they name 'that' Superman???? I don't see the connection? Christopher Reeve has got to be turning over in his grave right now, you know that don't you?? 'Superman' is really pissed off. It's a bird!, It's a plane!, It's a...,a.....a cum-stuck nightirt????....nope...isn't working for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2008 7:50 PM  

  • Um...ew. Makes me feel better about being woefully unhip. ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 1/22/2008 2:13 PM  

  • I'm headed over to look, but I've got a feeling I'm not going to like what I see.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/22/2008 4:48 PM  

  • Egads..I looked up the Superman thing. That is REVOLTING.

    I'm going to go and take a shower now, because I feel dirty for just reading that. Yes, I'm a prude. Egads.

    Someone recently explained to me the terms "pink taco" and "Dirty Sanchez" and I nearly threw up. Yep, I'm not hip. Ugh.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 1/23/2008 10:27 PM  

  • I try not to think to hard about these things. Every time I hear "Little Red Corvette" I am reminded of how I didn't get any of the references when I was in junior high.

    I must say that, on the whole, country music tends to have fewer scary hidden meanings. Learn yourself some Faith Hill tunes.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 1/26/2008 12:49 PM  

  • Oh. My. God. I had no idea!!

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/01/2008 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home