DebbieDoesLife

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ramblin' Fever


Last night I went to see one of my all time favorite country music legends. I have literally loved his music since I was about 17 years old but I have never seen him live. There was a time a few years ago, I thought about buying tickets but then I was afraid that I would be disappointed because he would be OLD.
Well, since this is my summer of fulfilling items on my life list (remember, I am the bra and panties phenom and traveling to far away places!) I decided that we should just do it.
Merle came to the local race track. I begged, I mean asked two other couples to go. Both of the menfolk LOVE that Hag too. We figured we would all get there a little early and watch some horse racing.
We got there about the 8th race. Once I had a beer in one hand, I grabbed a racing form with the other. All the men were asking each other "who you gonna go with?". My husband, knowing me better than anyone else, came and asked me for my pointers. I told him which two would be "good money."
He bet on them both. I let him decide the order and how (win, place, show, exacta etc.). They loaded the horses (and these were quarter horses, might I add, can't help you with Thoroughbreds) then they were off and my two finished 1st and 2nd. Our friends now look at me like I have changed right in front of their eyes.
"Did I not mention that I grew up racing quarter horses and my dad and I hung out at the various tracks with our trainer?" I told them wide-eyed and innocent. My dad is a true horseman and knew a good piece of horse flesh. And, how to pick the ponies at the track.
After that the guys all did whatever I told them. I picked two horses in the next 5 races and everytime my horses were in the money. I was even shocking myself with my accuracy. There was a guy sitting at a table next to us studying racing forms and making notes. You could tell he was serious about it and another friendly (read drunk here) couple that had attached themselves to our party were asking him for tips. He said the #1 horse, I leaned back and said, "#3 is my favorite, and the #1 would be my second). In that race the order was 6, 3 and 1.
After I shoved all our winnings into my purse we headed towards the infield stage for Merle. It was 11:00pm by now and I was getting a little worried about Merle. Good Lord, the man is over 70! You know he needs his sleep....and maybe Metamucil.
Have no fear, when he hit the stage, he was all Merle. He's got so many hits he couldn't do them all but he did Big City and Okie from Muskogee which were crowd favorites.
He didn't do two of my personal favorites Misery and Gin and Sing Me Back Home which was a bummer but I couldn't stay mad at him. He is still a hell of an entertainer who loves what he does.

8 Comments:

  • We were one of the couples there with Debbie and her hubby. Only wish my hubby had listened to Debbie from the very beginning - maybe we would have a little more money in our pockets. :-) Seriously, it was a great evening! Glad to be a part of helping Debbie check something else off her "life list."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/01/2007 1:51 PM  

  • Okay, you're officially in the realm of bigger-than-life.

    Although, I just don't get the whole horse thing. My brother and sisters had horses. I never wanted one--I just rode theirs. To me, a horse is just transportation. And a hassle. Can you imagine if you had to put a seat in your car and attach a steering wheel before you could go anywhere? And the car had to be filled with gas every day whether you drove it or not? Oh yeah, and your car would crap in the driveway.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/02/2007 11:13 AM  

  • Did you publish this list one day and I missed it? Let me know if any of it includes SoCal so I can tag along.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 7/03/2007 3:30 PM  

  • I need to make a list like that, I think. I also need to go to the horse races. I live so close to that place and have never been and they have all of these great concerts this summer! OK, that's it...I'm planning a date night!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 7/03/2007 10:21 PM  

  • Geez, he got old. Is that a recent photo? I wouldn't even have recognized him.

    I'm so glad you had a good time...

    By Blogger teahouse, at 7/03/2007 10:39 PM  

  • I am soooooo jealous-Merle is a big favorite and I'm soooo impressed! I grew up riding quarterhorses and I know I wouldn't be able to pick a winner...I would look for the cutest jockey or the cutest outfit!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 7/06/2007 7:03 PM  

  • Good on you...
    Glad you have a list of things you wanna do... and for everyone you tick off... I hope you add another!!!

    By Blogger Pendullum, at 7/09/2007 7:15 AM  

  • My cousins raise horses, but I never really saw the appeal. Even less so the need ro race them. Even so, I'm glad you got to see Merle.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/09/2007 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home