DebbieDoesLife

Monday, June 18, 2007

Golf - A Four Letter Word


While I was on sabbatical from blogging, I decided to buy golf clubs. I have always had a bit of an interest in chasing a little white ball with a stick but never had time before. Now in my job, I can golf and get paid while doing so!


What pushed me in do it was being asked to help at an industry tournament. I went to help with check in. Once we had all the golfers in their carts the club manager came out and asked who was driving the beverage cart. The company didn't know about this. Slowly I raised my hand. And, that was how I ended up being the "beer muffin". Not that it wasn't fun and I got to meet ever person out there playing (not to mention I could have made a ton of money in tips - but I did not accept the tips nor the tacky pick up lines) but I don't want to always be the beer girl.


So, how hard could this golf thing be? I have played tennis, I work out and as I approached this new sport, I thought to myself, "This should be simple" The ball isn't moving, you walk everywhere or ride in a cool golf cart, and I see old people doing it all the time. I figured in a couple weeks I would be the new Tiger or maybe I should say the new Angel Cabrera (he won the US Open yesterday). So, I jumped right in convinced it was a matter of just a few weeks...


Steps to golfing:


1. Spend a ton of money on a set of clubs.

2. Go to driving range and hit the ball pretty decent. Swing needs work. My hand/eye coordination kicks ass!

3. Take a golf lesson.

4. Now understand just how much I suck at this game.

5. Go to driving range and completely overthink the process. Can't hit the ball to save my own life!

6. Take another lesson. Aha! quite revealing to see oneself on video (after I stop critiquing weight, hair and outfit and just look at stance, head position and swing)

7. Practice, practice, practice.

8. This game is fucking hard. Damn.


Rest easy Tiger, Angel and Michelle - no threat here.

6 Comments:

  • I recently played miniature golf and I hit a hole in one! Golfing is not for me but glad to see more women out there wearing plaid pants. Maybe the fashion look will hit the courses.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/18/2007 6:59 AM  

  • Not enough running in golf to make it worth my while...plus here where I live it's dominated by the country club culture and I can't tolerate that either.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/18/2007 3:09 PM  

  • My daughter used to drive the beer cart...she got lots of tips and lots of pick up lines from very all these old guys, grossed her out.

    Stick with tennis but only if you can find a hunk tennis pro. Then you won't care what you pay for the lesson!

    I drive 45 minutes to get to my clinic. The pro is so cute, I would pay just to sit the bench and watch him!
    Ahhhh!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 6/18/2007 3:29 PM  

  • Yeah, I've played golf a couple of times..when you're a lawyer you pretty much can't ever get away from it. I suck pretty badly..and I discovered that it's much more physically strenuous than it seems.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 6/18/2007 8:10 PM  

  • I love golf! I suck at it, and it is hard, but I still love it even though I haven't played in several years. Hmmm...maybe that is why. Maybe it is like childbirth or something.

    It is too funny, I'm about to post about something I REALLY stink at...TENNIS. HA!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 6/18/2007 9:08 PM  

  • The room I'm sitting in now is full of golf trophies. One of them is 4-ft. tall.
    They're my mother's.

    Her advise to me was to always try to land the ball near the cart path.

    I don't think that applied to putting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/19/2007 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home