DebbieDoesLife

Monday, May 21, 2007

Not As I Do

There is a certain style of parenting out there that I can't stand. It is like the world's longest fingernails on the world's largest chalkboard for me.

Certain people come to parenting with a, uh....history. A past. Maybe they used to do drugs. Maybe they drank like camels. Maybe they were a wee bit on the easy side (and I don't mean easy going personality). Sometimes when these type of people become parents they turn into Uber-Parents.

"Oh, I KNOW what goes on out there so I am going to make sure Little Timmy doesn't do any of that. So, we threaten him with a fate worse than death every other day that he had better not be smokin' crack." Little Timmy could be four, hanging with his friends at the local Christian preschool.

Seriously, I am thinking of a certain individual right now that acts like this. Her child is 13 and not exactly in THAT group of kids. He is a nerd. There is no nice way to say this but he is. He doesn't get invited to boy-girl parties. He is a late bloomer who still could pass for a 5th grader. I doubt this kid is offered much by popular minded middle-schoolers, let alone drugs.

Put your "it happens to everyone" arguements away. That will be for a different post. The one entitled, "But my child doesn't look old enough or isn't popular enough to be this bad". We will cover that topic one day but not today. I can assure you this particular kids only addiction is video games and nacho cheese Doritoes.

My point is I find this type of parenting insulting to the child. I have never treated my children as if they WILL be bad because I did certain thing (and trust me I did! We shall save the car stealing, drinking and drugs for another post too!!). I have always treated them as if they WILL do the RIGHT thing and are smart and good. I think its ridiculous to hyper-parent just because YOU did something wrong. It does not predispose your kid to wrong doings.

Congratulations to TypeLittlea, Tink and Renee at FroggieMom for winning the CD's. I am in a hurry or I would put links here (sorry).

5 Comments:

  • Yeah, I'm always afraid that I'll end up doing something like that..it's amazing how much we project our own fears and insecurities onto our kids, isn't it?

    By Blogger teahouse, at 5/21/2007 10:20 PM  

  • Debbie -

    Do you have an email address where I can send you my mailing address? Thanks!

    By Blogger Renee, at 5/22/2007 9:02 AM  

  • I think just about everything in life is the result of where the ball falls on the genetic roulette wheel. You'll have some kids that are wild, and some that are mild.

    The mild ones try to make up for it in later life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/22/2007 10:38 AM  

  • YOU'RE BACK!

    FUCKIN' A!

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 5/24/2007 7:17 AM  

  • you have a great philosophy!!!

    By Blogger acaligurl, at 5/29/2007 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home