DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Whipping Girl

Ever have one of those days where you feel like everyone is using you as their punching bag? Well, today has been mine. It all started first thing this morning before 8 am.

In my line of work, there is a certain order of things. We need design drawings in order to fabricate the piece needed for the job. The operating company will usually employ an engineering company to do those drawings. Then we are stuck waiting for the drawings....all while the clock ticks. When the work doesn't get done, company #1 tends to go right to us and complain that we haven't accomplished the said task. If you aren't careful you can get into a really fun game of finger pointing. I refuse to go that route. In order to avoid that certain low road today I had to do a lot of ....hmmm....bending over. Let's just say today has helped me become quite limber.

That's not the only fire I was fighting either. I am trying to bring in a bit of work that is different than our usual scope. Same type of work, just different design. The field I am in seems overly resistant to change. Maybe all fields are this way. It's frustrating to be locked into one avenue of experience and work. I know everyone wants guarantees and assurances that the job will be done when it is supposed to be done. The thing is all of my people HAVE that experience with this exact type of work, it's just my company name has not been associated with it before.

Okay, I have vented and I feel much better. I am opening up the floor to other frustrating work stories. Or funny ones.

6 Comments:

  • I wish I had a job to gripe about. It's not that I can't get one...it's that I don't want to waste time doing something that I don't care about.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/27/2007 3:52 PM  

  • I'm weighing the pros and cons of my job. Pros: Cell phone, gas card, insurance paid, an upcoming trip to Hawaii all paid for. Cons: I know too many secrets of the boss (who considers me her only friend)She's a nice person, just very controlling. You know. Her way is the only way. Her opinion is the only opinion. She's a good business person. Just exhausting. And the trip to Hawaii, is suppose to be for her wedding, which most likely isn't going to happen, but she still wants to go to Hawaii. Oh, and it's over Christmas. She is very generous with her money, but I don't always like what she buys, but... just grin and say THANK YOU!

    But..... cell phone, ga$$ card, insurance. ARGUH!

    By Blogger Brenda, at 6/27/2007 6:11 PM  

  • Well, let's see, where do I start? My department has been moved under 3 different VPs in the college in just five years. I have had six different supervisors. I am now under one that hasn't a clue what my job really is all about and keeps giving me "little" projects to work on. Being administrative. I am on salary, so therefore, no stipend or OT for these "little" projects that amount to weeks of work, and then put me way behind on my real duties. But, since this is the person who does my evaluation, I smile and say "sure!"

    By Blogger PEACE, at 6/28/2007 6:48 PM  

  • It's ok..I feel like I'm the employee at work who's always getting taken out to the woodshed. But the truth is, we all take turns being that person. Just part of life's ups and downs, I guess.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 6/28/2007 11:07 PM  

  • I have to bend over so much at my job, I think I'm permanently hunched. Wow, that sounded BAD. I hope your weekend makes all the crappiness of Friday disappear.

    By Blogger Tink, at 6/29/2007 12:31 PM  

  • my husband was counseled by both the #1 and #2 at work last week and they each told him something different. And the one who told he he wasn't communicating enough then asked if he wanted him to hold his had through every decision when Pat went in to brief him on a project.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 6/29/2007 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home