DebbieDoesLife

Sunday, January 14, 2007

It's Hip to be Latino!

I don't know about your city but here in Houston where a large percentage of the population is Hispanic I have noticed a change.

The T.V. news anchors names.

There was a day that news anchors changed their names to easy to remember, easy to pronounce smooth sounding names. Like Gary England (a weather guy from my old state of Oklahoma - if you saw the movie Twister then you too have witnessed Gary England's relentless devotion to tornadoes). Or, Jennifer Reynolds, or Dave Ward. These are real anchors with really easy to pronounce names.

What I have noticed in the last couple of years is an embracing of the Latino names. And, saying them with all the tildes and trills in place. Why, the other night, while the hubs and I were watching the news we couldn't even understand what this woman's name was at all! She said her first and last name so fast and with so many unrecognizable inflections we both did a double take and then asked each other "What was her name?"

I have no problem with this other than I don't know the names of the news announcers any longer. I am considering taking my mother's maiden name to be on the front end of the trend. You see, her name was Salazar. I am practicing how to say it with every r getting a proper tongue trilling. I believe the trend now is to BE ethnic. Whether you are or not, just make something up.

Are you burdened with a boring old name like Smith? Just change the short i to a long one and maybe add a long e on the end. Nothing dusts off an old name like buying a few vowels! Last name Williams? Change the double l to a y sound like in tortilla. There you have it! A much more interesting and ethnic sounding name.


**Disclaimer** DebbieDoesLife does not promote or condone racial or ethnic slights, slurs or insults. She does condemn the media for turning anything into a three ring circus a/k/a trend of the moment.

10 Comments:

  • Elma Barrrrrrrrerrrrrrrrrrrrrra has always done that since she started reporting in Houston. But I have been laughing at all the white boys trying to say Minerva Perez on Channel 13. No one used to ever worry about saying Mah-nerve-ah Puh-rezz' and now they try to roll the Rs and say Mee-nerrrrv-ahhh Pair'-ezzz. That cracks me up.

    By Blogger Trish, at 1/14/2007 9:20 PM  

  • But we need to think of a suitably fitting first name for you to go with your mom's name. How about Amidalah or Pepper.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2007 7:55 AM  

  • HA! This is too true! And we're losing one of the more pronounceable latino names when Lisa Feranda leaves. I can't wait to see who fills her shoes! Gone are the days of Shara Fryer...

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 1/15/2007 8:26 AM  

  • Wait...all this time the media has been turning things into three-ring circuses? ;)

    In my neck of the woods we have a large ethnic Hmong population, but so far our local news anchors haven't reflected this trend.

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 1/15/2007 11:53 AM  

  • There is this Chinese woman on CNN whose name I can't figure out if you put a gun to my head. Or that the last name is spelled one way and pronounced insane-like. Let's see. I'm a Jones, I used to be a Marks. Jones..... how about "Joe-ness"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/15/2007 12:41 PM  

  • My favorite ethnic newscaster's name? Soledad O'Brien. Hispanic and Irish...kinda like Hubby and me. Gotta love it...

    By Blogger The Queen Mama, at 1/15/2007 7:10 PM  

  • We don't have names that I can't pronounce for our newscasters, but we have something worse. Our local station hires people just out of college, because they get them cheap. They mess up the news so much that I don't know what's going on. The good part is the even horrible news is really funny when the people stutter and trip over their words. By the time any of them get good, they get hired for more money and move away, and we get another bad person.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/16/2007 5:25 PM  

  • i haven't noticed any names i cannot pronounce news wise, but when i took my estetican state board test i had a clear speaking english proctor and others had a asian proctor that no one could understand! it doesn't matter to me who the proctor is , just as long as we can understand them!!(7 this is no slam to asians... i'm 1/2 chinese!)

    By Blogger acaligurl, at 1/16/2007 11:03 PM  

  • Are you stayin' warm up there in north Houston?

    By Blogger Trish, at 1/17/2007 10:31 AM  

  • Was it channel 13? Because their mid-day anchor is an "R triller."

    Just saying.

    I have a long last name, but I don't think it is very ethnic, unless you consider German to be ethnic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/18/2007 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home