DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Dodged a Bullet

but not completely.

Let me explain. Last week I began having a strange headache/neck/jaw ache. I finally realized it was emanating from the jaw which meant a tooth. I have a filling in a molar and having already lived through a cracked tooth that had to have a crown, so thought I had this one all diagnosed and figured out.

On Monday, I trot into my dentist's office. They shoot an x-ray all the while shaking their heads and saying, "it's root, I'll bet."

They ship me back out the door with recommendations for Endodontists (didn't even know these type of people existed!) and the news that they think I need a root canal.

Everyone has their THING. Anything to do with my mouth is mine. I freak out over dental work. I think it's because I never had braces and my first cavity wasn't until I was in my mid-20's. And, having my all four impacted wisdom teeth out scarred me for life. That experience lasted for over a month (my jaws froze shut), I lost 8 lbs., and ended up with a dry socket and 6 canker sores on the inside of my mouth. Good times. I'd rather pop a baby out then have my wisdom teeth removed!

What do I do on Monday? Called everyone who would listen, invited them to my pity party and cried, no, bawled about having a root canal. You see it had also struck me that my birthday was the following day. The unfair timing of my aching roots was cruel!

Seriously, I think when I called my poor dad he thought one of my kids had died. He seemed almost relieved when he finally understood through my blubbering that I was saying "root canal".

So, I went to the endodontist yesterday. He said he was going to put something cold on the two surrounding teeth and then the afflicted one. I warned him that my fear was he would touch something and I would come flying out of the chair. He said he had big hands and would hold me down (he was pretty cute - I might let him lay his hands upon me!) and I then felt compelled to further warn him that when and if I did come out of that chair it would be with the aide of adrenalin and I would become super-human at that point. Goodness, while I am flying out of dental chairs I may even lift a car or two in the parking lot. He laughed thinking I was joking....you know I wasn't.

I passed the cold test and he said "not a root problem." So, I do not have to have a root canal but I will still have to have a crown for my cracked tooth.

Now I just have to stock up on ibuprofen for my aching jaw and wait.

10 Comments:

  • Ah, but the good news is dental pain meds are the best kind. Make sure you let them know about your "low pain tolerance" and you'll get some good stuff. This coming from someone who has had so much dental work, there are maybe only three teeth in my mouth that haven't been altered in some way.
    Good thing Jeff's dad is a dentist!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006 7:01 AM  

  • I have a fear of dentists too, but it stems from having one pull 4 teeth instead of one when I was 5 (he put his hands on me and held me down). So yeah, feel your pain, and glad it sounds not as bad as you once thought.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006 7:21 AM  

  • Yeah, when I had my wisdom teeth removed I had a panic attack and utterly freaked. The dentist, yeah- held me down, but unfortunately, wasn't cute. Bummer. And then I had nigthmares for weeks. Like you said, scarred me for life :) I personally had the jaw ache thing and was informed that I grind my teeth and night and now I have this neato apparatus to keep me from doing just that (at night). Makes you drool.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006 8:14 AM  

  • Oh, thank god. I once failed the cold test, and I had a root canal, and I can't even talk about it.

    But I am also a huge crybaby about teeth issues (I had dry pocket when my wisdom teeth were removed, too) so maybe normal people can handle the situation. My point is---you are a lucky, lucky woman.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/07/2006 8:30 AM  

  • Good luck getting to the root of the problem!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/07/2006 9:23 AM  

  • Yeah for you. As you probably know, I also hate the dentist!

    By Blogger Renee, at 12/07/2006 1:50 PM  

  • I have two wisdom teeth that have needed to be pulled out for TWO YEARS. So you can understand how much I sympathize with you. I'm thinking two more years won't hurt anything right?

    By Blogger Tink, at 12/07/2006 2:46 PM  

  • The two wisdom teeth I still have will never come out of my mouth. Not only do have have huge dentist issues, but my SIL works for an oral surgeon and insists on telling me all sorts of surgery stories. I want to faint just thinking about it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/12/2006 3:09 PM  

  • Hey, if he was a cute dentist then it was worth it, wasn't it?

    Glad you don't need a root canal. And happy birthday!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 12/12/2006 8:50 PM  

  • My daughter has the most absolute best kid's dentist in the world... if I had a dentist like him when I was a kid I would not be nearly as terrified of the dentist... Cute or not...
    Glad you did not need a root canal...
    And Happy Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuu!!!!

    By Blogger Pendullum, at 12/15/2006 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home