DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Note to self: Do not move ever again.

I know there is a certain amount of pain and suffering that must be endured with a change of address but somehow in the interim between moves, I manage to forget just how painful that suffering can be.

Our move has not been without its hitches. Like, my wood floors were not finished yet so now my new house is full of dust. We covered the furniture with plastic and didn't bring everything from the old house but still, its a mess. They keep saying I will "love" my wood floors when this is all finished. I highly doubt I will ever worship my floors enough to make up for this. I am sure they will look nice and I should be grateful. Whatever. And, please don't tell me how my builder should have had this done before....trust me, you do not want to get me started.

Then the hubs and I thought we were being really smart by using blue painter's tape and putting down brown paper to protect the stairs. Well, we discovered today that the tape that isn't supposed to remove a finish, removed the varnish from the stairs. Now, I will have to have the whole staircase redone. It makes me want to throw up just typing that on here.

Other than all of that, we love the house. Its just the whole "box up your crap and move it" that I hate. Right now the old house is empty except for the crap. You know what I mean, that back closet with the games you never play, and pictures you don't hang anymore. That kitchen cabinet where you store the George Foreman grill and cake pans in shapes you knew you would only use once but can't bring yourself to throw away. Yeah, the really fun stuff to move.

My new job? I am loving it so far. The guy that is training me has some health issues so my week has been very short which was great since my house is a chaotic mess. There was really only one day where I actually did what I will be doing. Otherwise, we went and checked on some welders (one was named Frog - he looked like a real keeper), located a barge and went out to lunch. I really shined during the whole "go out to lunch" part. Hey, I know what I am good at.

11 Comments:

  • That sucks about the stairs. maybe you were supposed to use the purple tape, not the blue tape?

    I'm going to move myself (eventually) so stop scaring me :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/03/2006 7:54 AM  

  • At least you get to move your stuff only once. Hoop and I moved half our crap before putting the house on the market. Now we have to move the rest of it to a storage center. Then we have to move it into the new house when we find it.

    I'll be happy never to look at another brown box again.

    By Blogger Tink, at 11/03/2006 3:25 PM  

  • Hi there,

    I just found your blog. I really love how you write.

    I have a lot of family in Houston and Dallas Texas.

    Can't wait to read more.

    By Blogger Amanda, at 11/04/2006 12:02 PM  

  • I feel your moving pain. It's always a hassle. We haven't even ever moved into something we own, always rentals. But, now that you had this house built you should need to move again. Just keep telling yourself that. And maybe buy yourself some ice cream.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 11/04/2006 11:19 PM  

  • ARGGHH! Stop it with the moving talk! Between you and having to help my mother move last weekend, I am so dreading moving! We're not buying a house for another 6 months or so but, ARGHHH! I'm want to run away like a wee girl at the thought of it!

    Also, besides going out to lunch and looking pretty, what is it you are doing at your new job?

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 11/05/2006 2:43 AM  

  • I'm pretty sure that it is written in the constitution that one can't move and start a job somewhere at the same time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/05/2006 6:44 PM  

  • Hey, SJ. Can you move the week before Christmas? With a kindergartener, a pre-schooler and an 8-month old baby?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2006 10:43 AM  

  • So, when do we get to see an updated photo of the house with sod, furniture and Martha in the kitchen?

    By Blogger PEACE, at 11/07/2006 12:28 PM  

  • I've had trouble with that stupid blue tape before too - I'm so sorry!

    By Blogger Mommygoth, at 11/07/2006 1:47 PM  

  • The trick is to keep breathing...

    Did you know that in a recent scientific survey ranking on a scale of 1 to 100 (with 100 being the most stressful) all of life's activities, divorce ranked at 100, followed closely by moving? Yep, moving was rated as the second most stressful activity imaginable...even more stressful than death of a spouse.

    This too shall pass. You have a beautiful house! So what's a little streaky varnish? Your family is together and healthy. It'll never be noticed from a trotting horse.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 11/07/2006 10:48 PM  

  • Oh, you're a hoot. You don't want me to get started on the subject of moving. Mine's just smaller scale from yours. Sorry to hear about the hassles of the wood floor and blue tape incident. Please tell "teahouse" I loved her comment about the trotting horse. I wish I'd said that. Hang in there, girlfriend. Lunch with a glass of wine will do wonders for the weary mover's soul.

    Janetta (Nettie)

    By Blogger nettiefudgesworld, at 11/08/2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home