DebbieDoesLife

Monday, October 23, 2006

Violation

Well, right after I posted the last, the hubs went over to the new house to check on things. He called me. Said the words that send shivers down my spine (in a bad way), "guess what happened?"

Someone took all $5,000 worth of our black iron fence panels. We'd had them delivered on Friday and locked and stored in the garage. There is a security gate in our neighborhood that is closed over the weekend so we know it was a contractor that knew the code. And, since the guys so nicely delivered the wood we were waiting for IN THE FENCE's SPOT IN THE GARAGE we are pretty sure of who it is. Can't prove it though.

I know to those contractors it looks like we are rich. I would like them to know that I don't know what rich is... but I don't feel like I am rich with money. Rich with love, good health and a wonderful family? Yes!

My husband put himself through college. Columbia University. Not exactly cheap. He has worked for every penny we have. Hard. We have scrimped and saved. No trust funds, no rich parents either paying for college or a down payment on a house. No inheritances.

We made our boys SHARE one GameBoy. Made them share other toys too. Made them save up their own money for XBoxes and the like. We usually pay cash for things. Pay off our cars in half the allotted loan time. How? By doing without other things. We drive very boring, American cars. No fancy sports cars or anything. No designer duds on our bodies either.

My husband was going to install the fence himself to save money. We built this house on a CostPlus basis which saved us a lot of money. I bought some of the fixtures on ebay TO SAVE MONEY. So, it deeply offends me that some person thought he could just help himself to my stuff.

I suppose we will file a claim on our homeowners insurance or the builder may be able to on his. I don't know. Its not the money as much as the feeling of violation.

According to Wickipedia - Violation is a general term for an offense or for any act or event that is against a rule, law, right or expectation. In some jurisdictions, violation is a legal term for a class of petty offenses, also known as infractions. Violation is also an old euphemism for rape.

Yup, that's what it feels like all right.


15 Comments:

  • I'm so sorry that happened to you. You should also report it to your neighborhood whatever it's called in your area, since you're in a gated community. Not to mention, someone WENT IN YOUR GARAGE! That is definitely a violation, and it doesn't matter if you're rich OR poor, or somewhere in between, theft is theft.

    By Blogger Trish, at 10/23/2006 7:23 AM  

  • I know I already told you, but I am so sorry Debbie.
    This is TB by the way, blogger is acting weird about comments.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/23/2006 7:55 AM  

  • That just sucks, Debbie. I'm so sorry. Our street had a TON of problems with people ripping off appliances and stuff just before home closings. A lot of times it was the construction crews who would come back in at night and rip stuff out. In one case, the entire kitchen of a gorgeous home was flooded just days before the owner's closing because some thief ripped out the dishwasher and it was hooked to the water line.

    How can people do these things and live with themselves? Rich or not, being robbed is definitely a violation. It doesn't matter what tax bracket you live in, it is wrong.

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 10/23/2006 10:30 AM  

  • This is terrible.
    I know how personal this can feel.
    Back when I lived in a hip townhouse in an urban area, I left (I've worked at home for most of my career) to meet someone for lunch. When I got back and opened the door, the first thing I noticed was my dining table was gone. I tried to remember, "What did I do with the dining table?"
    It was weird, the thieves stole only a few furniture items. The police suspected the bad guys were furnishing their place.
    I was having work done on the townhouse, so I suspected the contracter but couldn't prove anything.
    I wanted to move for a long time after that.
    You'll get over this. You have a beautiful house. The best revenge is living happily ever after.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/23/2006 12:20 PM  

  • That's atrocious. Can you file a police report and suggest they check out the contractor (or whomever you suspect)?

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 10/23/2006 1:47 PM  

  • That's awful!! I am so sorry Deb. The world is getting so corrupt. It seems you can't trust anyone anymore, and nothing is ever really "safe." Does the security gate have a camera on it? Maybe they'd let you look at the tapes. Whoever took them had to have them in the back of an open truck.

    By Blogger Tink, at 10/23/2006 3:14 PM  

  • that is lousy. i agree with b.e.c.k maybe you can file report and have your suspicion checked out. even if it can't be proved it might shake their conscience....

    By Blogger acaligurl, at 10/23/2006 3:55 PM  

  • Up here there's a huge black market for lumber, fences, etc, so if it was planned they probably had a buyer in advance (assuming the thief was smart). I hope the police are able to help - usually in fancy places there'd be a video camera, and I only know about the black market because I work in the courts but the good news is it's because they were caught. I've stolen from, and sexually assaulted, but I have to say that in my experience the latter is far worse than the former.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/23/2006 4:40 PM  

  • Debbie I'm so sorry. Report everything. Even if it does't get your fence back maybe it'll help keep it from happening to the next person. The good karma will catch up with you eventually. It's awful to have things stolen from you. You work hard for what you have and it's yours. I feel the same way. I hope this is a better week for you.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 10/23/2006 11:08 PM  

  • THAT'S JUST SO WRONG!!! I mean, can't you confront the people you suspect, given that only a couple of people know the keypad combination?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2006 11:50 AM  

  • How awful; I'm so sorry this happened!!! And I second the commenters suggesting that you confront the suspects and/or report this incident.

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 10/24/2006 12:34 PM  

  • That is heinous!

    By Blogger Mommygoth, at 10/24/2006 12:53 PM  

  • So sorry, that is such crap!

    Don't you want to follow the contracters around and find out if they are working someplace else putting up YOUR fence?

    They can't hide from their Karma forever.

    By Blogger PEACE, at 10/24/2006 8:39 PM  

  • That SUCKS!!! I'd call the police.

    Yes, what jerks- some people despise those who have what they don't- and they just don't realize what it takes to get there. They could do it themselves if they had some self control.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/26/2006 10:48 AM  

  • It's too bad that this happened and I am sorry for your misfortune. However, if you had ever been raped, you would know not to compare it to having some fencing stolen, no matter how much it was worth. Please show some respect to those of us who have been victims of actual sexual assault.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2006 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home