DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Let's Dance!

My parents have never been big television watchers. They considered it a waste of time. Now don't go thinking they were professors or brainiacs. Nothing like that. They just didn't grow up with it and are from the old school that "one should be doing something productive" all the time. That meant work. Housework, yardwork, schoolwork.

My mother's idea of productive usually involved a vacuum of some kind. She has several. Got to have the right tool for the job. Canister, upright, dustbuster....you name it and she can suck it up. That didn't sound right.

This attitude is what makes this so funny. My mother has fallen head over heels with the show Dancing with the Stars. She even calls me during the show so we can discuss the finer points of Jerry Springer's audience appeal or Emmit's dancing ability. She really loves Slater....er, I mean Mario Lopez. Okay, I admit, I could dive into those dimples of his too and his butt looks awfully good in spandex.

I like that my mom has found a "hobby." Even if it is something as worthless as watching t.v. It's better than sucking...with the vacuum.

Hey, did anyone else totally love the new Lost episode!! I predict that Jack and Juliette will be getting it on soon. And, why are the Other's keeping the Lostees as such arm's length? So much we do NOT know!!!

7 Comments:

  • This reminds me of the time my father was describing in detail this movie he wanted to see. It turned out to be Road Trip. That is the very last movie I thought he would like.

    How's the fundraising thing going? I was thinking of you because I now have to sell wrapping paper for my daughter's preschool.

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 10/05/2006 7:09 PM  

  • Dancing With the Stars just isn't powerful enough to bring me to the tv and I confess I've never seen one episode of "Lost". (In know, I know...I've gotta be the only person in the Western Hemisphere). Still...I'm glad your mother has embraced something besides the vacuum cleaner.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2006 8:38 AM  

  • Oh my god. Jeff's mom loves Dancing With The Stars too. I think it's sort of like the modern day version of Lawrence Welk.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/06/2006 9:50 AM  

  • My mom's addicted to it too.
    I saw Emmitt Smith dance the other day, and wow! was I impressed!!

    By Blogger Renee, at 10/06/2006 12:53 PM  

  • Hoop and I are totally addicted to Lost. We watched the first and second season on DVD and now we're SPOILED. I kept asking him to "pause it" when the newest episode came on. :p

    1. The beginning part was completely unexpected!
    2. I loved the look Sawyer gave Kate when she started nibbling on that fish biscuit.
    3. And Juliette seems like a character I could get into, unlike the unlikeable Anna.

    By Blogger Tink, at 10/06/2006 2:27 PM  

  • Hahaha! You know, we don't even answer the phone when our Sunday night HBO lineup is on.

    My parents wouldn't let me watch Gilligan's Island or Leave it to Beaver when I was a child. I could watch TV, but it could only be TV my Dad deemed sophisticated, enlightening, or high-brow. Ugh.

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 10/06/2006 4:59 PM  

  • I only catch DWTS when I can, but I have to admit that it warms my heart a little to know that something so cheesy and earnest can be so popular. Never underestimate the power of the grandparents.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 10/09/2006 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home