DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Summer Tragedy

Kids out of school. Too much time on their hands. Not enough supervision. Just bad luck.

Last night, a kid from my neighborhood took his Dad's truck, picked up four of his friends at 2 am, and they went driving around. All of the kids were ages 11 - 13. They hit a tree and two 12 year boys died (one was the driver).

The one boy was cute and from a really nice family. His mom used to be the crossing guard at the elementary and I have gone on scrapbooking retreats with her. The boy did TaiKwonDo and was some advanced level. So much promise. None of these were "bad" kids.

You wonder how it came about. Who had the idea? Why did the others go along?

My 13 year old is at summer camp this week. I will get to give him the news on Saturday. He knows these kids although none were his close friends.

I rode my bike back to where it happened (my new cardio workout cuz the bad feets). It happened right in the back of my neighborhood. The truck hit a tree. The news channel was out there preparing to go live with the 11 am news. At this point I still didn't know who the kids were. The pine tree they hit was probably 60-70 Ft. tall. One of the girls had to medi-flighted out. I found out who she was just a little while ago. Her family and mine all moved here with the same company from Louisiana 9 years ago. So I know that family too.

Of course, I am thinking as a parent. You invest your whole self into these children but you can't tie them up and never let them see the light of day. It just comes down to that Life is a crap shoot. And, sometimes your roll comes up snake eyes.

15 Comments:

  • So very sad. And think about the Dad who is going to tear himself up about leaving his keys out, or not hearing the truck pull out. But I truly agree with your basic point. My girls are 12 and 10, we've put our souls into them, and they could be gone just like that. Or worse. It's the scariest, worst thing I can imagine. "Sonnet for a Child" came from parents at their child's funeral. But I would not trade having these kids for anything. Thanks for this post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 1:22 PM  

  • Yep, you are so right. My sister-in-law has a 15-year-old and he's a daredevil right now. I know she spends many a nights worrying that he may have some tragedy like in your neighborhood, even though he's a good kid. Teens are just more wreckless.

    A very sad story...

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 7/20/2006 1:27 PM  

  • That is horrible, I have a 10 1/2 year old who I worry about lots now, but have much more future worrying to do. I'll keep their families in my thoughts and prayers.

    By Blogger Renee, at 7/20/2006 1:39 PM  

  • How devastating. I think about this kind of thing all the time, and kid myself that I and warn my son about everything bad and stupid that could hurt him, although the truth is that kids are always taking risks and some risks are worse than others. My heart goes out to the parents of the kids in your neighborhood.

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 7/20/2006 2:08 PM  

  • So sad. I lost friends in car accidents when I was younger (though they were older) and it's something you never forget.

    By Blogger Heather, at 7/20/2006 3:28 PM  

  • That is such a tragedy. I can't even imagine what those parents are going through. My brothers are 12 and almost 14 now. Much much much too young to die...

    Mamalujo1: "'Sonnet for a Child' came from parents at their child's funeral." Ah. That makes so much sense now.

    By Blogger Tink, at 7/20/2006 3:36 PM  

  • So sad. My heart goes out to those families.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/20/2006 10:06 PM  

  • That is truly tragic. So young too. My son just turned 11, so yeah, all this stuff is just around the corner. So much to worry about.

    By Blogger Babaloo, at 7/20/2006 10:35 PM  

  • How do you get to that place as a parent, Debbie? I can't imagine how difficult it is not to live in fear for you children 24/7.

    What a senseless, tragic thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 8:10 AM  

  • We can't save them from the impulsive, crazy decisions that seem like the right thing to do in the middle of the night.

    When I was newspaper reporter, I saw so many examples of lives changed irrevocably in one moment of poor judgement. It can happen to anyone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 10:20 AM  

  • In Arizona we have a new program (less than a year old) where you can voluntarily sign up your vehicle for the "watch your car" program. I sign my car up (VIN and license plate) and get two highly reflective, hard to peel off stickers-- one for the front and back windows. If the car is out between 1-5 a.m. (or within 10 miles of the border) a police officer will pull it over. Seeing as I don't drive at that time of night, the only reason MY car would be out is if one of my sons stole it, or someone else did. I think this would be a great plan for other states to adopt! Check it out: http://www.azwatchyourcar.com/watch_your_car.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 5:48 PM  

  • Makes me feel ill. And I'm only kinda sorta a parent-to-be. I can't even imagine the pain.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 7/22/2006 1:25 AM  

  • THIS is a post that keeps me up at nights....

    Like every night Dillon is out with the car. Or in a car. Or near a car.

    By Blogger Paige, at 7/22/2006 8:07 PM  

  • Awful. Just awful. Makes me want to go peek in on my boys. And install a much tougher home alarm.

    By Blogger The Queen Mama, at 7/22/2006 11:20 PM  

  • That's terrible. I feel so bad for those families, and am wishing them the best.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/23/2006 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home