DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Summer Update

Sunday, Father's Day, we treated the resident Daddi-o in our house to breakfast out. The two younger boys made him cards with coupons to wash and vacuum his car and we got him a DVD/movie.

I had received from the oldest who is at Ft. Benning getting his butt kicked (and he has dropped 6 more pounds - I'm ready to go to boot camp just to lose weight!) a letter to his dad for Father's Day earlier in the week.

I admit I read it. It was addressed to me and then inside it said Happy Father's day and I went ahead and read it. He'd told me he was sending it. Shut-up! That's not what this post is about anyway. Its not snooping if you were going to get to see it anyway. Can we move on now? The letter thanked him for being such a great dad and said how we were both great parents. We have supported him and been great role models for all three kids. Then, here was the neat part. Grab your tissues now.

Backstory: Sometimes as C got older, he would come home from a friend's house and comment on how that family got along. Maybe they argued. Maybe the kids talked back to the parents. He would point out that we weren't like that and that we were "normal." I always thought that was a nice compliment.

Back to the letter: The letter said, "since I've been gone I have realized that our family was not normal or ordinary, we are extraordinary!" Cue tears.

New topic: Rachel Ray has her own talk show??? Where the hell is mine then?

I will be out for a few days as I am running around getting ready for a (as Polly Pocket says) a "sweet va-kay!" Packing for four instead of five (gads, I wish C was able to go with us!) and trying to think of every instance and item of clothing I may need. I won't tell you where we are going but I'll give you a hint, We will be keeping it classy!

19 Comments:

  • What a wonderful letter! Boot camp has a way of giving kids (myself included) perspective that they wouldn't get anywhere else.

    And Happy Father's Day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/20/2006 9:02 AM  

  • He's such a sweet son, isn't he? I hope I can say the same about John M. in about 16 years!
    Classy, hmmmm. . . I'm stumped.
    I guess there's not enough 'classy' in me!

    By Blogger Renee, at 6/20/2006 9:05 AM  

  • "since I've been gone I have realized that our family was not normal or ordinary, we are extraordinary!"

    That is beautiful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/20/2006 11:48 AM  

  • You got a good kid... or should I say man? *Sniff*

    Have a great va-kay. Ew God, that word made me gag a little. Be sure to fill us in with pictures soon!

    By Blogger Tink, at 6/20/2006 1:12 PM  

  • It's funny I've only come to the same realization as your son in the years since I left home, and I realize how lucky I was to have a great family.

    Hope your vacation is fabulous!

    By Blogger Heather, at 6/20/2006 2:15 PM  

  • Have you people not seen the movie "Anchorman" ?????

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 6/20/2006 6:22 PM  

  • I got your Anchorman reference right away! And I have this to say to you:

    You pooped in the refrigerator? I'm not even mad. That's amazing!

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 6/20/2006 10:33 PM  

  • Happy Trails!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2006 7:41 AM  

  • I'm moving to that classy town at the end of next week! How long will you be there?

    The diet gurus at boot camp are relentless. You wouldn't like it. Hope he's still doing well there. Lovely letter home.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 6/21/2006 2:28 PM  

  • A) I totally wpuld have read it too.

    2) Dillon always says we are "weird". But he says it in a good way.

    C) Have FUN!

    Oh, and by the way, I don't think I could Boot Camp. Even for the promise of skinny.

    By Blogger Paige, at 6/21/2006 4:14 PM  

  • Annie~ How did you get that from "Classy"? I got nothin'.

    By Blogger Paige, at 6/21/2006 4:16 PM  

  • I have no idea where you're going because everything east of me is just a jumble of accents and better food than we have. But have a wonderful time!

    By Blogger Mignon, at 6/22/2006 1:56 PM  

  • Awww, it doesn't get any better than that!

    By Blogger Mommygoth, at 6/22/2006 4:09 PM  

  • I miss you! Next time, pack me in your suitcase.

    By Blogger Tink, at 6/23/2006 10:55 AM  

  • It's very sweet what your son said. I don't have kids yet, but I'd imagine that moments like that really make the poopy diapers and sleepless nights worthwhile.

    And Rachael Ray is soooo annoying. Bleh.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 6/23/2006 5:37 PM  

  • That letter gives me hope that our teenage girls will come around again. Hard to believe while I'm in the thick of it and getting a zillion "duh" looks a day! ;)

    By Blogger Suburban Turmoil, at 6/24/2006 9:54 AM  

  • Hooray for San Diego! I hope you had a blast :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/25/2006 9:23 AM  

  • That card was really lovely! I don't blame you one whit for the waterworks!

    OK, everyone is in San Diego and no one comes to see me! Just joshin'...hope you had a wonderful time! (Although it is REALLY FREAKIN' HOT right now out here.)

    By Blogger Brooke, at 6/26/2006 6:06 PM  

  • "Stay classy San Diego - and go fuck yourself."

    Really guys - that's from the movie.


    "San Diego - the German's named it - it means a whale's vagina"

    Did I tell you this was my favorite movie of all time? (this week?)

    It's fucking hilarious!

    "I really liked the way you guys handled yourself out there. You kept you heads on a swivel. I mean that really escalated!".

    Just brilliant goofy stuff. It's so stupid it's funny.

    Debbie if you haven't done it go pick up the CD for the movie - it's got "Ron" narrating stuff before all of the classic songs. It's pretty good.

    "News Team! Assemble!"

    By Blogger Rock, at 6/27/2006 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home