DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, June 15, 2006

X-Ray Glasses

Last night were laying and watching t.v. The hubs is flipping thru the channels and skimmed past QVC, the shopping channel. The rings they were showing were pretty. I said so. He went back and we stared.

Him: Who buys this stuff off the t.v.?
Me: I don't know. I've never bought anything off the t.v. There was one night when I couldn't sleep and the infommerical for the Magic Bullet had me reaching for the phone...I HAVE ordered things from the back of comic books though.

Him: Like what?

So, I told him how I ordered the X-Ray glasses. Anyone remember those? The little ads were in the back of comic books and Boys Life. Along with ads about making money selling greeting cards door to door. The tiny ad even had a picture of someone's hand and the bones inside. The ad implied you could see right through people's clothes. And, BE THE LIFE OF THE PARTY. The ad even promises that you will be the most popular kid in school. My hubs of course, asked the big question, "So, did they really work?"

My answer: "If you mean, could I see people's nakedness? NO." Then I described how they really made things look. If you held up your hand it would be kind of dark with a light colored ring around the edges.

That's when my hubs, the scientist/engineer, said things about light, defraction, rays, and a halo effect.

Me: (with a wide-eyed horrified look) "Uh, that's kind of taking away the magic for me."
Hubs: "Sorry."
Me: "Next your going to say there's no Santa Claus, aren't you?"

12 Comments:

  • I always wondered about those x-ray glasses. I never knew anybody who ordered them.

    A friend of mine ordered Sea Monkeys. We were SO disappointed when they turned out not to have crowns.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 6/15/2006 8:55 AM  

  • On one of my very late, can't sleep
    kinda of nights I fell prey to the TV info-mercial. I picked up the phone and ordered the skin care line being pushed by no other then the one and only CHER! Yep...she had her own line there for a while. Can you freakin' beleive it! I actually ordered. Oh the confusion and delusion of the over-tired brain.

    I would have rather had the x-ray glasses.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/15/2006 10:15 AM  

  • I always want to order that Sonic electric knife (or whatever it's called) whenever I see that informercial. Then I remember I don't cook enough to make it worth my while. ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 6/15/2006 11:12 AM  

  • I have ordered Sheer Cover makeup off of the TV and let me say that it's the best makeup I have ever EVER owned. Seriously. You guys should try it. It's not all cakey and I feel like I look natural. The first time I wore it, I got complemented on how great I looked :) I think the website is www.sheercover.com. I have also bought a sewing machine off of the TV :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/15/2006 12:29 PM  

  • I begged and begged my mom for Sea Monkeys. She finally caved for my 9th birthday. Wow. What a disappointment.

    By Blogger The Queen Mama, at 6/15/2006 12:35 PM  

  • Ugh! Sea monkeys are disgusting! Madeleine got some for Christmas and she and Jim sweated and fretted over them for months. Until the baby spilled them all over the carpet and their little disgusting shrimp-like bodies squirmed around looking for water. We scooped them back into their scummy little container and they went on as usual pooping all over and humping each other.

    Engineers are good at ruining stuff like that. Sorry.

    By Blogger Mignon, at 6/15/2006 12:57 PM  

  • I ordered Sea Monkeys too! Out of the back of an Archie Comic. Ahhhhhh, the good old days.

    By Blogger Paige, at 6/15/2006 7:41 PM  

  • Wait..there's no Santa Claus????

    By Blogger teahouse, at 6/15/2006 9:28 PM  

  • OMG, I totally remember that ad. It was right next to the one for Sea Monkeys, and right above the one for the Charles Atlas bodybuilding stuff!

    By Blogger Mommygoth, at 6/15/2006 9:46 PM  

  • OK - my confession....I've ordered three things from infomercials. Two of them were actually not bad. One was a travel bag for cosmetics and stuff and the other was the Magic Bullet - that mini blender. My one dud was some scrapbook kit that is still sitting on my shelf. It can be expensive to be an insomniac...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/16/2006 6:25 AM  

  • My sister the health food guru has been a presenter selling her stuff on QVC.....

    I ordered a cream eyeshadow kit from American Girl magazine when I was 12 and NEVER GOT IT. I'm convinced that eyeshadow would have CHANGED my life. ; )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/16/2006 10:45 AM  

  • LOL! Too bad he had to go and spoil it for you. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/18/2006 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home