DebbieDoesLife

Monday, May 22, 2006

Top Chef, I am not.

It's not fair. I am the queen of the house. I am the one who keeps the house (or arranges it to be done!), plans and cooks most meals, waits in doctor's and dentist's offices and so on. My husband likes to cook, but he usually gets home too late to get dinner started.

But, as queen, I would expect to be the best chef in my house. Mind you, I live vicariously, through the Food Network t.v. channel. I LOVE to cook. I love Rachel Ray. I love Paula Dean. I love Southern Living magazine and am always clipping recipes.

Most nights (unless its a frozen pizza night) my kid's pick away at their poached salmon in white wine sauce, or chicken medallions sauteed with garlic and olive oil served atop angel hair pasta, or maybe it's home made shrimp alfredo with fettucini....you get my drift. "How many more bites do I have to eat!" That is like a knife through my heart.

I don't like to cook if its just mac & cheese or chicken nuggets. I want to try new things and new recipes. I am all about the presentation too! Fresh basil for garnish and maybe a dish of gingered steamed carrots for color!

For the umpeenth time, my husband made dinner last night. And, for the umpteenth time the kids acted like kittens with catnip. What did he make? SLOPPY JOES.

Several years back, I used to make my marinara sauce from scratch. One day, while in a hurry, I grabbed a jar of Prego and used it. My children swooned that night at the dinner table. "Mom! This is the best spaghetti you've ever made!" Boy, did I feel like an idiot for spending all that time and effort in the kitchen.

I am either a bad cook (oh, please, like I think that's really a possibility!) or my children have bad taste. I would love to say you be the judge, but that is one thing we haven't figured out with blogging or email. Otherwise, I would send my steak au poivre as an attachment.

17 Comments:

  • Oh, how I wish you could send food via email! That would be the best!

    By Blogger Renee, at 5/22/2006 2:31 PM  

  • Kids are so used to crap food that they don't know good stuff when they get it!

    Someday, they'll realize what they missed.

    By Blogger Mrs. Harridan, at 5/22/2006 4:15 PM  

  • I am a truly awful cook...no patience = always cook on high= burns everything. Thank God my kids like the same crap yours do cuz that is all I can make! My husband is like you and cook gormet and is an AWESOME cook....the kids palettes have matured and they will now eat Filet Mignon stuffed with patte but it use to be his heart that was ripped into time after time by their obvious dislike of the masterpiece set before them.

    I am glad too see you back up...I thought I had lost me link and was freaking out! Phew!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/22/2006 6:32 PM  

  • Deborah and I LOVE to cook. It is our favorite thing to piddle around in the kitchen one evening - open a Cabernet - and spend our own grand time whipping something up. And between the grill directly outside the kitchen and the stove we usually team up on the cooking.

    But I don't think you have to get TOO fancy to deliver good meals. That's what Rachael and the many more out there tell us - and its true. We're pretty much meat and potato type folks but we can dial it up with my famous spaghetti or her chicken alfredo - but even that is pretty much vanilla stuff. She does pretty good Mexican though.

    And we'll spend an entire Satuday afternoon making four-meat chili.

    Sorry gotta go - got whip up some mac and cheese....

    By Blogger Rock, at 5/22/2006 7:52 PM  

  • I'm glad daggers can't be sent through e-mails either because the mention of sloppy joes made me salivate like a St. Bernard.

    (My mom had to wait for all of us to get out of the house before she could make something that wasn't out of a can or cartoon festooned box.)

    By Blogger Mignon, at 5/22/2006 11:39 PM  

  • I hate to cook. It hasn't always been that way, but yes, nothing like complaining or lack of interest at the dinner table to just make you want to throw in the towel and give up on "real" food.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 6:29 AM  

  • You are an excellent cook. I envy your love of cooking. Witness - tonight I am planning frozen hamburger patties cooked on my George Forman grill with Ore Ida french fries. There is no hope for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 6:49 AM  

  • Oh, would I LOVE to get steak au poivre as an attachment...

    By Blogger Arabella, at 5/23/2006 7:40 AM  

  • I'm sure you're a good cook, Deb. Why don't you check out Amazon.com & see if they have kid-friendly recipes? I think there are also some recipe books that help the kids get involved.
    Don't feel bad, when I used to cook, my kids would literally RUNNN to Burger King.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 10:57 AM  

  • I love to cook, but I've learned that kids never appreciate the fancy stuff. I've given up going out of my way to make something from scratch for my friends kids, when they are just as happy with mac n cheese from a box.
    I'd love to try your steak au poivre.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 11:10 AM  

  • Kids like prepared foods because it has more sugar. Plain and simple.

    I'm sure you're an excellent cook. Please send me some steak au poivre.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 11:58 AM  

  • I would be your taste-tester ANY DAY. Why don't you just dry ice it and send it to me? Kids don't have any taste! That comes with age. My little brother ate hotdogs and hamburgers for 8 of his years and acted like it was the best steak to be had. I'm sure you're a fantastic chef.

    By Blogger Tink, at 5/23/2006 12:21 PM  

  • Kids have bad taste, plain and simple. Of course, I so rarely get to eat grownup food anymore that I order everything blackened when I escape the kitchen. I'm thinking you should post a couple of recipes sometime, Debbie! (And start with that chicken medallion thingie. Garlic...mmm...) ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 5/23/2006 12:46 PM  

  • Since I had the baby, I rarely cook anymore. I love to cook and bake especially but it's impossible at this stage. My husband is like a girl...he cooks for me (YAY FOR ME!)then I make him wash up! (EVIL CACKLE)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2006 3:53 PM  

  • I can not cook to save my life. If it weren't for Costco and their Lasagna, my children would of starved! I'm not even allowed to help cool Thanksgiving dinner anymore... something about a fire in the oven... But.. It wasn't my FAULT!

    By Blogger Brenda, at 5/23/2006 9:56 PM  

  • Well, you are not alone. You know I can cook. But the one meal my children call their favorite is their ONE meal their father made in his year off that was "gourmet". Chicken something that had a french name and took him way too long to make. But it is their favorite.

    Maybe he can make it at the Frio.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/24/2006 6:52 AM  

  • I'll eat your cooking!!! My kids are the same way....I try to cook something (while they are screaming and pulling at my pant legs, because they are dying of hunger) and I set it in front of them, only to hear, "not that".

    IT's not you, their taste buds have just not matured....in a few years time their wives will be hearing, "my Mom was the BEST cook!"

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 5/24/2006 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home