DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Chain, Chain, Chain

"Would you like 36 pairs of flip-flops?" asked a friend's of mine's little 8 year old girl last night.
"Not especially." I answered.
My friend instantly told her daughter, "We are NOT doing that chain letter!"
I hate, despise and abhor chain letters. Do not send me a chain letter because the chain WILL be broken. I think they are a big joke anyway. Who on earth would want 36 pairs of flip-flops? And, would they even be the right size (just put your name at the bottom of the list with your size and mail this out to 6 of your friend's within 5 days!).
I have received chain letters requesting children's books, oven mitts, paperback books, recipes, socks, money, and even panties!!
Do you think these are a joke? And, who starts them? Why don't we make it something we could REALLY use? Maybe I'll start a chain letter for tampons. Receive 36 tampons in the mail!! Super! Regular! Scented! Unscented!
Has anyone out there really done one AND gotten anything in the mail for it? Please let me know.

On a serious note: Let me be a cautionary tale for the rest of you. You know that whole "backing up" your computer?? Well, do it. Do it now. We had a thunderstorm roll through the other evening and it fried my computer. My computer with all of my photos, newsletters for clients, manuscripts and more is at the "doctor" but I have been told that it is not looking good. He cannot get to the hard drive to even retrieve the data yet. One, two, three.....Waaaahhhhh!!!!!

11 Comments:

  • Oh no! I had a computer eat my thesis once. Yeah that wasn't such a great day. I hope the nerds are able to recoer all of your files. I'll take your warning to heart and buy some CDs to back my stuff up!

    By Blogger Heather, at 5/16/2006 6:42 AM  

  • I hate chain letters, too. I once got the panty one, and all the previous people had written their panty sizes on it!

    Off to look into backing-upping equipment...

    By Blogger Arabella, at 5/16/2006 7:50 AM  

  • I also have a dead computer, but mine is in the closet, awaiting data retrieval "someday." And it has a lot of photos of my little guy on it. I feel your pain.

    On the chain letter thing -- My sister did a panty chain letter once and did receive some panties (a few pairs), including some from Japan, with poorly translated or nonsensical slogans on them. One said, "Camel Camel Camel." ??? I don't mind chain letters that get ya fun stuff (although I don't know anyone who'd participate, so I don't get free panties with weird things printed on them). It's the Internet chain letters that "guarantee" good luck or death avoidance or what have you that I find irritating -- especially the ones that tell you to send them to everyone in your address book. I find myself reevaluating certain friendships when I receive one of these. ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 5/16/2006 8:55 AM  

  • Oh no! E backed up our pictures a while back; time to do that again.

    I back up my blog so there's a copy on my hard drive as well as the server.

    Chain letter folks need to get a life. Why don't they do something important like BLOG?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 9:10 AM  

  • Oh Debbie, that sucks. They are able to work wonders though, hopefully some of it can be saved.
    I'm with you on the chain letters and even e-mail forwards. I automatically delete anything that I open that has a long distribution list with no greeting from the person who sent it to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 9:50 AM  

  • Chain letters are Stupid.

    Thanks for the reminder- I haven't backed up in months!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 10:50 AM  

  • My aunt sends me those recipe chain letters OVER and OVER, and I always forward them back with links to allrecipes.com and foodnetwork.com

    By Blogger Trish, at 5/16/2006 11:14 AM  

  • That's horrible about your computer! I live in lightening central. I've gone through 3 phones, 2 computers, a stereo, and a microwave... They were all on surge protectors too.

    My Mom and I got begged into doing the panty chain letter once. Neither of us ever recieved a single pair. Not that we really wanted to anyway. :)

    By Blogger Tink, at 5/16/2006 12:43 PM  

  • Oh man, that *sucks* about your computer. We lost a ton of photos from our wedding and when Julia was an infant when our hard drive crashed. Since then Dave backs up everything on our 'puter about once every three months. Better to be safe than sorry.

    And chain letters? Hate 'em.

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 5/16/2006 8:23 PM  

  • Hey, I've gotten that panty chain letter. Weird.

    And I'm so sorry your computer fried! Same thing happened to me last year when my motherboard went crazy.

    By Blogger teahouse, at 5/16/2006 11:44 PM  

  • Fortunately for me, I am married to a super sexy computer geek, who forces me to update and back up. So i've been lucky. *crosses fingers*

    I actually purchased a pair of panties for one of those stupid letters once. I was out one day and ended up wearing them, so needless to say my friend's aunt didn't get em (since only japanese businessmen like used panties)

    My mom actually sent the dish towels though! :-/

    I once responded to a recipe email with recipes tailor made for cooking in the crank case of your motorcycle. Meatballs: 30 minutes at 5000 rpms. The recipient was NOT amused.

    I hate the "friendship" emails. Send this back to me so I know you're my friend/you think I'm beatiful....blah blah.

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 5/17/2006 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home