DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Field Trip

Nothing like a day spent with a whole class of second graders. On a field trip.

A field trip can trigger the same symptoms in a child as eating an entire bag of sugar. Yes, its true. Running around in mad circles, yelling at the top of one's lungs, swinging and jerking of the arms excessively and temporary hearing loss.

Second graders are a different breed of animal. I watched a kid use the inside front of his shirt to blow his nose. I watched another eat a carton of yogurt that made me realize he must digest food through the skin of his face since that's where most of it got smeared.

And, one of my own "truisms" was proven once again. You know how people will say "There are no dumb questions", well I take arguement with that. I believe there ARE dumb questions. When the pioneer man gives a demo about blacksmithing and then kids ask things like:

"What happens if the pot of beans spills?"
"I'm hot." (not even a question.)
"My grandma cooks beans." (again, not a question)

We went to a park yesterday that has a pioneer village. People dress in period costume and then explain to the kids how they used to do things such as, wash clothes, cook food, blacksmith, load and shoot a rifle, fetch water and more. More than you ever wanted to know.

Here is a bit of trivia you can use next time you want to impress your friends. I would save this for a fancy dinner party. Did you know that the early settlers used a corn cob to wipe their hineys with? AND, then washed them and used them again???? After that bit of info, I think I passed out. Call me snobby, call me hoity-toity but in my pioneer household we would have only used the corn cobs ONCE!

Oh well, the trip was a success. We made it back with as many kids as we came with and they were all worn out.

12 Comments:

  • Yeah, I knew about the corn cob but I didn't know they used it more than once. EW!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2006 8:48 AM  

  • I knew that corn cob fact too. I always figured that'd be way rough on the hiney. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

    By Blogger Renee, at 5/04/2006 9:04 AM  

  • I love silly kid questions, but I hope you brought some aspirin for the aftermath. ;^)

    And corn cobs...no wonder folks looked so grim in those early photos...

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 5/04/2006 9:42 AM  

  • Is that where the phrase "someone has a corn cob up their butt" came from?

    Congrats on surviving the field trip. That deserves a big ol' martini.

    By Blogger Trish, at 5/04/2006 9:45 AM  

  • So that's why some people call it a corn hole... I never would have known!

    And those questions remind me of things Ralph Wiggam would say on the Simpsons.

    Too funny!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2006 10:08 AM  

  • Welcome to my everyday life, Debbie! I feild those types of quetions on a daily basis...I find them hilarious! Oh, and all you parents should know.....your childs teacher knows way too much about your family and what goes on at home. Kids just love to share the family shit! "My grandma tried to kill herself and drank gasoline. She is in the hospital." and beautifully printed on a Mother's Day card one student writes (after telling the kids to write things about their mothers) "My mom is fat." Um...lets erase that. That might hurt her feelings. "No.....she knows she is fat." God, they kill me!! I love this age becasue you always know EXACTLY where you stand with them. "Those glasses look like Willi Wonka's" (my brand freakin' new Versaces by the way) or "You smell like a beautiful flower" You know where you stand and there is alot to be said for that!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2006 12:32 PM  

  • Corn is meant to come OUT of your butt, not be used to clean it. That's just wrong. And I think I'd opt for the leaves. I mean, they don't use them for anything right?

    By Blogger Tink, at 5/04/2006 12:57 PM  

  • Ew! Guess I'm the only one who didn't know the corn cob thing.

    I agree there are TONS of stupid quetions, and would extend that by saying they often eminate from the mouths of stupid people.

    By Blogger Heather, at 5/04/2006 7:10 PM  

  • I always thought field trips were a great idea until I student taught and then I thought OH MY GOD WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!?!?! It makes for a long day. Plus I get motion sick on the bus. So.

    Kid segues are always a trip. Just trying to make the new experience a part of their little world.

    Go Ralph!

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 5/04/2006 10:17 PM  

  • LOL - Too funny. I love the kids questions!

    By Blogger #1 Dancer, at 5/05/2006 3:38 PM  

  • True confession: Because I often have a low tolerance for kids that are not my own, I avoid all volunteer activities that involved being in confined spaces with large groups of children.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/06/2006 9:39 AM  

  • I loved this part:

    "What happens if the pot of beans spills?"
    "I'm hot." (not even a question.)
    "My grandma cooks beans." (again, not a question)

    That cracked me up! When I'm the pre-school helper it's like 3 straight hours of non-sequitors and apropos of nothings.

    By Blogger Mignon, at 5/06/2006 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home