DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I Killed The Easter Bunny

I love all of the fun things that go with having kids. Getting to have Santa Claus visit my house and the Tooth Fairy sneaking into my kids rooms.

The Easter Bunny has not ever been my favorite though. It probably has to do with the live Easter bunnies that my parents gave my brother and I when I was about 4 years old. I went to check on them later that day and thought that my bunny was so much nicer than my brother's. His kept hopping all around and wouldn't let me pet it. Not like my nice bunny. WAIT! The bunny fell over stiff as a board when I pushed on him. Yes, he was deader than a doornail. I was thoroughly traumatized.

With my boys now, we put out baskets the night before Easter and each boy gets a giant chocolate bunny, candy and usually a movie (this years hit was Itune $$).

I am very good at being sneaky. Really. My sneakiness is legendary. This year I dropped the ball.

I went by the drug store to pick up something for a sick friend and while I was there did my Easter shopping. I put the bags in my backseat and went by the sick friend's house first. I visited for a bit and then headed home. Totally forgetting the other bags in the car.

I picked up the youngest (8) that afternoon from school and told him to get all his junk out of the backseat when we got home. Wherever he goes trash develops, shoes multiply and toys appear. My car was looking like we lived in it.

We pulled in the driveway and I proceeded to get out, get the mail etc. I noticed that D never got out of the car. Pretty soon the back door opens and I see his feet sticking out. I asked him, "What are you doing in there??"

He answers back with a comment that made my heart stop in my chest and chills run down my spine, "I LOVE chocolate bunnies!"

Holy Shit! I'd left all the bags back there!!!

He didn't really ask so that makes me wonder how strong his belief still was, but he was smart enough to keep quiet about it.

But, yes, I do believed that for the second time in my life I killed the Easter Bunny.

Oh well, here we are after church on Easter Sunday. I didn't realize until after the picture was taken I should have switched the boys. I put dark blue in front of dark blue and light blue in front of light blue.

And, yes, I actually have another child who is 19 and was home from college last weekend. Sleeping.

16 Comments:

  • I fell asleep one year and forgot to put the stuff out, and had to do some serious sidestepping and diversion tactics to get it all out.

    By Blogger Trish, at 4/19/2006 3:02 PM  

  • I did a similar thing at Christmas, which was the last straw in me telling my oldest about Santa. She's so sneaky and I got tired of all the sneaking!

    By Blogger Renee, at 4/19/2006 3:15 PM  

  • What a cute family you have! Oddly enough I don't remember believing in the easter bunny, though I must have at some point...

    By Blogger Heather, at 4/19/2006 3:40 PM  

  • Awww...great picture of you all! You know, we've never done the Easter Bunny at our house, and my parents didn't when we were younger either. But, kids believe what they want to...my son woke up and ran upstairs to tell his cousin who was visiting--the Easter Bunny came! My husband and I just looked at each other suprised because we've never talked about the EB. I guess you believe what you want to at that age!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 4/19/2006 3:54 PM  

  • Y'all look cute! Isn't is amazing how much different boys look when you put a clean shirt on them and make them behave long enough to take a picture ;O)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2006 4:40 PM  

  • Aw, cute picture.

    Too bad mom is the destroyer of all things Easter. What's with all the EB hate, D?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2006 9:25 PM  

  • It's amazing how the promise of chocolate bunnies can make you believe in just about anything.

    Y'all look adorable. You should have taken one of the 19 year old in bed. His natural state and all.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 4/20/2006 12:51 AM  

  • When I was a teenager I moved in with my boyfriend and his family had a bunny. That was pregnant. And since my birthday was coming up, they told me when the bunny popped 'em out, I could have one.

    Imagine how excited I was when mama bunny went into labour. I'd always wanted a bunny, but my mother wouldn't let me have one because her and my father had one that nearly ate them out of house and home. But now that I was 16 and living on my own, I could show her! HA! I'd get a bunny!

    I hunched over the cage and watched as the mama bunny delivered her young...and then turned around and ATE her hairless, slimy babies.

    I can't look at bunnies the same anymore.

    (I love the picture; your family is beautiful!)

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 4/20/2006 8:10 AM  

  • That IS horrifying! My friends mice did the same thing. Right in front of the kids.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 4/20/2006 9:31 AM  

  • I neglected to shop for candy, so had to "borrow" candy from my folks' house to stick in my kiddo's Easter basket. He never knew the difference, and my mom was glad to get rid of all the candy. ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 4/20/2006 11:40 AM  

  • Better than leaving a receipt stuck to the bottom of a Santa present. Love the photo. You have a lovely family. And so dang color coordinated! :)

    By Blogger Tink, at 4/20/2006 11:48 AM  

  • Yeah, my pet rats and hamsters ate their babies all the time. That is SO GROSS... I wonder why they do it?

    (and no, the Easter Bunny didn't stop at my house, but apparently pooped out eggs filled with candy all over the church lawn)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2006 12:09 PM  

  • I still remember my mom buying a stuffed Odie dog for one of my Christmas presents and trying to hide it in the cart while we were shopping at Fleet Farm. I knew it was in there the whole time. :)

    Your family looks lovely!

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 4/20/2006 1:06 PM  

  • I can't tell you how many times I forgot to be the Tooth Fairy. I would "help" my daughter search through the bedsheets, slipping the money in when she wasn't looking. Just about every time. And I felt like such a bad mother afterwards, too.

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 4/20/2006 1:14 PM  

  • Nice photo! I love guys in dark suits and boys in polo shirts. So nice...
    You kinda remind me of Terri Garr in her younger pretty days - did you do that What Famous People Do You Look Like thing I posted a while ago?

    By Blogger Mignon, at 4/20/2006 4:59 PM  

  • A fine-looking family.

    So you slaughtered the Easter Bunny. It could be worse. Other rabbits dying, perhaps?

    By Blogger The Queen Mama, at 4/20/2006 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home