DebbieDoesLife

Friday, March 31, 2006

Planes, Trains & Automobiles

My Aunt Ollie died on Wednesday. I wasn't going to go to the funeral, mainly because it is almost 1100 miles away, who would take the kids to school, and we are preparing to close on our home construction loan any day now.

Then my brother threw down the gauntlet. "I'm going to drive up there because I feel that I should. She was really nice to me. I don't remember if you knew her as well as I did."

The hackles rose. "Of course, I knew her well! Better than you! She was my Godmother!" (do we ever really transcend our roles from early childhood?)

Hubby said he would go in late to work and leave early to cover the kids on Mon & Tues. So, now I am flying up to meet my "big" brother and then he and I together are going to drive the remaining 600 miles. Why am I not flying the whole distance? Try a difference of $470. And, I didn't want my brother driving by himself. My parents are leaving a day earlier and staying a little longer than we want to.

Thanks to Mignon and her interest, I have now put some old photos on here. Yes! I finally got a scanner. I may have to treat you to some ugly elementary photos of myself since everyone else has done it and I know I have laughed my head off at some (well, not YOURS - everyone else!)

Here is a photo of my Aunt Ollie with my husband. I told you she lived on the side of a mountain. That behind them is the mountain next door.
Isn't she teeny? My husband is really not a big guy.

Can you imagine waking up and having a view like that everyday?










Here is a picture of me on the same trip.

No, not the skinny blonde on the left, the one with the bump on her belly (4 mos. along) and TONS of hair! It was the 90's so SHUT-UP AND STOP LAUGHING. I was totally in style. You know you wish you had hair like that. That is all natural curl too.

Now that dress. At the time I thought I was oh, so cute in it. It was from Victoria's Secret and not even a true maternity dress. Now I am thinking that polka dots and pregnancy are not a good mix. Ixnay on the ig-bay uttons-bay too.

This was 13 1/2 years ago and I was pregnant with #2. I am standing by my cousins (one of my Aunt's kids - told ya they were hispanic looking) His wife is the other blonde. These two lived out of an RV for over two years, had their kids at home (and slept in a "family" bed) AND juiced everything or ate it raw. But thats another story.

My grandpa is standing next to me and we are in front of his house. The tiniest little house you have ever seen. He died about 3 years after this photo.

Please send me good thoughts as I will be on the road so much between tomorrow and Tuesday - flying, driving and hooking up with long lost relatives.

17 Comments:

  • I am sending those good thoughts right now. I am so sorry about your aunt. I love the pictures. The scenery, the family (your grampa and aunt are so cute), the commentary.

    Best wishes on your journey, Debbie.

    xx

    By Blogger Mignon, at 3/31/2006 11:37 AM  

  • Debbie, I don't even know you, but my heart goes out to you. It's hard to lose someone so close to you. God Bless.

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 3/31/2006 11:47 AM  

  • When my grandmother passed away about 15 years ago, my uncle and I remarked that the wake was like that Lyle Lovett song in which he sings about not having seen some people "since the last time somebody died." Very true. I'm sorry to hear of your aunt's passing, and hope you find comfort in reconnecting with family. *hug*

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 3/31/2006 12:04 PM  

  • I'm so sorry about the loss of your aunt. Have a safe trip.

    By Blogger Trish, at 3/31/2006 1:01 PM  

  • I'll be thinking of you and sending good thoughts. Take care....

    xoxo

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 3/31/2006 1:11 PM  

  • Wow, that's amazing scenery. And, look at you in all your pregnant cuteness!

    I'm so sorry again about your aunt, but I'm glad you and your brother get to go to the funeral. Your brother sounded just like my sister gets sometimes with me--those siblings and the one-upmanship. Have a good and a very safe trip!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 3/31/2006 2:48 PM  

  • I'll be wishing you strength and patience to make it through the long trip.

    Thank you for leaving us with these pictures, though. I think I had that same exact dress and Aunt Ollie looks like a real no-nonsense kind of lady. Her home at the foot of that mountain must have been amazing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2006 3:05 PM  

  • The "family bed" comment reminded me of a story I saw on CNN this morning. A husband climbed up onto his roof, set up a tent, and made a big sign saying "husband on strike" because his wife wouldn't get the two children out of THEIR bed! I agree. I have always abhored that personally. I don't like dogs or cats in it either!! It was equally funny that everyone they interviewed on the streets agreed with the husband, not the wife!

    That mountain shot is beautiful. Your Aunt Ollie, you can just see the lady's power popping right out of that picture. Very cool! She's got her own special place up there, for sure. Have fun not getting into it with your brother... my sister and I have the same thing going on with us and our Great Uncle Toy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2006 4:59 PM  

  • My most sincere condolences about your aunt. She sure was a petite woman. I'll be thinking of you & your family.
    ((((((((hugs)))))))

    By Blogger jane, at 3/31/2006 10:26 PM  

  • God speed and safe travel.

    By Blogger The Queen Mama, at 3/31/2006 10:32 PM  

  • Funerals have a way of sounding so grim and then turning into something so special and meaningful. Hope Aunt Ollie's is that for you.

    I grew up in western Virginia with a mountain in my backyard....and hon, after seeing your natural curl, I understand your "chemical dependency."

    Safe travels.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2006 6:43 AM  

  • Have a good trip. Enjoy seeing relatives, despite the reason. And enjoy the time with your brother in the car. (Even though he tried to needle you about who was closest to your aunt.) Remember, your siblings are the longest relationship you will ever have - longer than your parents, your husband or even your kids. OK. Enough pontificating. Be safe, give your mom a hug for me and call me when you get back.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2006 9:01 AM  

  • Have a safe trip. You will glad you decided to go...you would have had regrets had you decided otherwise. I wish you a safe trip.....I'll be sending positive vibes yours way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2006 10:43 AM  

  • I'm so sorry about your aunt...adding my wish for a safe and happy trip to everyone else's!

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 4/01/2006 3:02 PM  

  • Many many good thoughts and big hugs to you. Your pictures were wonderful...thank you for sharing them.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 4/02/2006 3:06 AM  

  • Have a safe trip! My thoughts and wishes go with you.

    By Blogger Tink, at 4/03/2006 10:15 AM  

  • So sorry about your aunt. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 4/05/2006 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home