DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Ahhhh....Spring Break

We are on Spring Break here. What does this mean in my household? Well, it means that college boy is home and so are other two kiddos from school.

What? We aren't off skiing in Colorado? Basking on a beach? Dancing on a cruise ship? No!! We will be breaking ground on the money pit, ooops, I mean Dream House as soon as next week.

Spring Break this week means kids staying up late and then sleeping in. It means spending lots of money at the grocery store due to the fact that they eat nonstop. And so do their friends. The other night I cooked 3 lbs of taco meat, had over two college age, four teens, one 8 year old and three adults for dinner. No leftovers. I filled up on Tequizas.

So, yesterday I gathered up the two younger boys (tried to take the college one but he wouldn't get out of bed and hey, he's 19), two of the dogs and packed a lovely picnic and we headed to a large State Park about an hour north of us. The weather was perfect. We paid our way in and acquired a map. We found the hiking trail and started out. After about 4.5 minutes of walking the younger one starts in:

Thing 2: I have to go to the bathroom.
Me: Well, you'll have to wait.
Thing 2: I'll just do it right here.
Thing 1: You idiot!
Me: Its a public park and its against the law to just go peeing anywhere you feel like! (not to mention we had already passed a few people so were hardly alone!)

Walk about 4 minutes more.

Thing 2: I can't hold it.
Me: Good Lord, then Thing 1, go watch that way and Thing 2 duck behind that tree!

Disaster averted.
We walk and walk and walk. Thing 2 starts making noises about being hungry, when will we be finished and he's tired. Thing 1 keeps telling him to shut up.

Here they are mid-walk. Don't they look like they are having a fun time? Thing 2 has discovered the joy of making bunny ears and I suddenly have lots of pictures like this. I do believe the next picture would have shown Thing 1 punching Thing 2 in an effort to demonstrate his appreciation.

We walked another 25 minutes or so and suddenly I could feel something in my pant leg. It felt like something long and thin, like maybe a piece of grass and I tried to shake it out but nothing. I couldn't roll my pant leg up enough to get to it and as I kept walking it kept moving up and was now on the back of my thigh. Cold sweat begins to break out as I an envisioning the critter that could possibly be in my pants.

Me: Thing 1, hold this dog for me! (I am doubled over at this point, holding the thing between my fingers on the back of my jeans.
Thing 1: What are you doing?
Me: I am going to have to pull my pants down!
Thing 2: Oh! Yuck! You're pulling your pants down right here? (covers eyes in panic)
Me: There is something going up the leg of my pants and I have got to get it out.
Thing 1: (grabs dog and starts moving away)
Me: (look around, no one is coming, pull pants down) Look, its a big pine needle! Why did you move away from me anyway?
Thing 1: Because I knew you would freak out and yell at me to come and get whatever it was and I was getting ready to run.

WHAT? ME - FREAK OUT??? Ahhh, there was that time with the spider that obviously left a little scar tissue on my kids. Hey! Having something potentially alive, crawling up your pant leg is more than enough reason to FREAK OUT.

Our little hiking trail took us an HOUR to finish. I was carrying Kipper (the tiny dog) and thought I was going to have to carry Thing 2 also. The whining was pretty bad by the time we made it back to our car and picnic lunch.

Luckily, our delectable egg salad sandwiches were the perfect ending to a long hike. Tomorrow we will be heading to the younger brother's house in Big D. Then we can at least say we went SOMEWHERE on Spring Break.

16 Comments:

  • While reading about the Thing In Your Pants I just kept thinking, "Oh, please don't let it be a snake." Glad it was only a pine needle!

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 3/16/2006 8:05 AM  

  • I think I was chanting in my head "Hell, no please don't be a snake!!! or I will freak out and further damage my children's psyches"

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 3/16/2006 8:09 AM  

  • Ditto on the pine needle--whew that would have been freaky!

    We had the same kind of spring break. My husband was out of town for work all week and so our big highlights were going to the library and the Children's Museum one day. The last day, we attempted the Aquarium but my daughter barfed on herself in the car and that was that.

    Damn, summer vacation better be cool...(grin)

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 3/16/2006 8:49 AM  

  • That uh . . sounds like um. . . fun. right?

    By Blogger Renee, at 3/16/2006 9:55 AM  

  • I was chanting "Please LET it be a snake!" Ahaha. Quit glaring, you know I'm only kidding. It would have made for some excellent blog fodder though. I hate hate hate creepy crawly things being in places they shouldn't. It's just as bad when you THINK they are too. *Shudder*

    By Blogger Tink, at 3/16/2006 10:24 AM  

  • I love hiking and love getting the kids outside for it. Best thing to do on spring break!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2006 10:36 AM  

  • I wouldn't even have had the wits about me to stop and ask my child to hold the dog while I was holding on to whatever was crawling up my pant leg. I just would have spazzed until I thought it was away from my body.

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 3/16/2006 10:49 AM  

  • i bet it really was a "trouser snake."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2006 10:52 AM  

  • Something tells me you'll be hearing "Remember the time Mom pulled down her pants in the woods?" at many family dinners to come. ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 3/16/2006 11:59 AM  

  • Aaahhhh. Communing with nature. You make it sound so fun Debbie!

    Those two boys look like pure trouble.... I hope you survive spring break!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2006 3:18 PM  

  • Are you sure you didnt get your "things" confused with MY "things" because your "things" sound oddly like my "things" :)
    Have fun in big D!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2006 4:58 PM  

  • Oh this post made me so glad my 'things' are all grown up. I'd freak out if I felt that pine needle too. (not that you freaked out) ;)

    By Blogger jane, at 3/16/2006 7:29 PM  

  • I was picturing some weird, spindly insect a la _Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom_. SO relieved it was a pine needle.

    I'm not a huge fan of egg salad, but I've been told that freshly-snipped chives are a delicious addition.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 3/17/2006 8:27 AM  

  • Martha put avocado in her egg salad sandwich last week. I couldn't decide if it looked gross or yummy.

    Those two look like they're loving nature! My husband pees so often on our hikes he makes the dog jealous.

    By Blogger Mignon, at 3/17/2006 12:33 PM  

  • Well, can't wait for another hike in Lost Maples or Garner. We'll take all of the "things" this time. And duck tape for the whining.

    c

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/21/2006 10:54 PM  

  • It sounds like my boys, I thought they grew out of the whining.

    I gave up on the whole activities thing for Spring Break and just slept for 3 days.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 3/23/2006 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home