DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Adult ADD

Thought I would take you on a walk today. Come along with me on a virtual day in my life and see if you think I may be suffering from Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.

Wake up at 5:15am to work on client's newsletter.
5:20am - make cup of hot tea
5:22am - check email (oh, look Tink and Ditsy commented on my blog. Guess I should go and see my blog.)
5:29am - open Adobe Pagemaker and actually pull up newsletter document. Shoot! Need pictures - go back to email to download from there. What? A new email from TLC. Need to see what she said first.
5:40am - need another cup of tea
5:43am - maybe I should write new post for my blog and get that out of the way so I can get to work on this newsletter. Told client I would have a proof by tomorrow.
6:00am SIL walks in from garage apartment. Must meet and greet lest she think me rude.
6:15 am - Thirteen year old up and ready for breakfast. Cook him breakfast.
6:30am - Go up stairs and wake 8 year old son.

Forget working on newsletter, must make another breakfast, get dressed in dirty clothes found on floor, drive one son to track by 7 am, then come back and feed dogs, clean up kitchen, pack a lunch and head out the door to take youngest at 8. Don't arrive home until 8:45.

8:46am maybe I should work out. Should I go to the gym or run? I'll go to the gym but let me check my email first.
9:15am Well, maybe I'll just jump in the shower. But first maybe just a bite to eat. Oh, there's the newspaper. To be well informed I should read the newspaper.
10:00am MUST GET IN SHOWER
10:01 am Arrive in bathroom. Hmmmm, lots of dirty clothes. I should start a load of laundry. Won't take me a second! I'll just run this load downstairs, get one started and be right back!
10:10am - Well, I guess I could check my email, since I am back downstairs. And, read a few blogs.
11:00am - Going to take a shower NOW. Uh oh. Look at those eyebrows. Definately need to pluck.
Lunch time! I'm showered and hungry! Let's eat and watch Forensic Scientists on Discovery. Uugghh, lets not. Disgusting video of dead people. Change channel to "How Do I Look?" I love this show.
12:30 check email. Oh, look, bills to pay and I haven't done a lick of work on that newsletter!
12:35 phone call from friend. Tell her how busy I am and we both discuss for 45 minutes our busy, busy schedules.
1:15 Sit down to work on newsletter. Maybe I should read a few more of my buddy blogs first, then I'll be more focused and in the mood to work.
1:30pm I meant to whiten my teeth today! I'll just run upstairs, throw on some white strips and be right back down and then its straight to work!
1:45 Oh no! I forgot I need to get to the grocery store. No milk! No bread!
2:00 Jump in car and run to the store. End up buying $150 of groceries.
3:15 pick up 8 year old.
3:45 arrive home. Unload and put away groceries. Check snail mailbox, open and throw out crap mail. Hmmm, that makes me think of my email! I need to check and see if anyone has read my latest post of the day!
4:30 - What's for dinner mom? Good question. How many nights in a row of frozen pizza is too many?
4:31Oprah! I missed the first 30 minutes. What's she talking about today because God knows I am too busy to admit to watching. Well, maybe I will sit down on the sofa. I mean, I deserve it you know. I've been really busy today.
4:35 Next son gets home, Oldest one calls from college and needs paperwork of some kind. Husband calls and checks in to see how my day has been.
6:00 Dinner - home work
6:30 Scouts/and or church meeting/ and or writer's group/ and or athletic event of some kind (fill in this spot with any of the above!)
9:00pm Sorry honey - no nookie for you because I have a newsletter that is due tomorrow so I will need to stay up until midnight finishing it!

What do you think? Its either ADD or time management issues. Gosh, maybe I should Google both and see what I find. Then I am going to jump in the shower. Or should I work out first? Kinda hungry, maybe I'll eat first......what was I saying?

15 Comments:

  • This sounds so familiar! And I don't even have kids yet. I firmly believe this is why you need to take as many Ya-Ya vacations as possible, you know, for your sanity.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 10:21 AM  

  • Debbie, is this the non-fiction you're going to publish, because 130 million women are going to read this and cringe. I'm cringing right now! Or I'll cringe after I shower, fold more paper animals for the kids, run get milk and $150 worth of other stuff, blah blah blah...

    I'll get right to that cringing in a minute!

    By Blogger Mignon, at 3/07/2006 10:33 AM  

  • LMAO. Seriously, take a load off, girl. It's been a long day. ;)

    (You are so like me.)

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 3/07/2006 10:41 AM  

  • Is it ADD? Hmm..whatever it is, your description sounded a WHOLE lot like my typical days. HA!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 3/07/2006 11:55 AM  

  • Hmmmmm ADD or time management??? Good question. Let's take a minute to examine the symptoms of each seperately. There are many theories and schools of thou---........................................................Look!!! Something shiny!!...............Oh, yes, back on task. What was I saying??


    Don't know about you, but I am thinkin' ADD as my diagnosis!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 12:28 PM  

  • Phew. You make me tired just READING about your day. I think you're overworked and in need of a Margarita. Hey, you didn't get your fill at the Ya-Ya meeting.

    By Blogger Tink, at 3/07/2006 1:12 PM  

  • Saggitarius, former Lafayette resident . . . and now user of PageMaker with Adult A.D.D.?!?!?

    We WERE separated at birth!!!

    By Blogger Melodious, at 3/07/2006 1:46 PM  

  • No. Scatterbrained, maybe. Definitely need that time management. Turn off your internet, put a time for "checking the email" (and that will give you and ulcer, because I like to check mine four times an hour) and schedule yourself, girl! When you go to the store, write a list and actually buy what's on it and nothing else. Really, really, nothing else. I have tips out my ears for this kind of stuff. If you had ADD (adults don't normally have Hyperactivity, but you never know), your brain would be having four different modes of directions, nothing would get done, you'd forget to eat because you just forgot, and you'd leave your kid at school because you forgot that too. I personally have four different alarms to make sure I never ever forget to get my kids, and I've still managed to get That Call. The one- your kid is HERE, where are YOU? And I was like, Um, Mars? Really, I was having this nice daydream....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 5:11 PM  

  • Carol: When are you going to start your own blog cuz you is hilarious girl!

    Sharla: Scatterbrained??? Now thats a new way to say it.

    Wordgirl: I'm a morning person. What can I say?

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 3/07/2006 7:17 PM  

  • My favorite ADD part of your day is when you bring me donuts. With sprinkles.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 10:48 PM  

  • Just change a few of the details and it's my life as well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/08/2006 6:34 AM  

  • This is how every day of my life disappears and why when my husband asks me about my day, I draw a blank. What day? Did I have a day?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/08/2006 9:41 AM  

  • Let me know, because I have a bad case of it as well.

    And there is NEVER too many days in a row for serving frozen or delivered pizza.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 3/08/2006 10:39 AM  

  • That ain't ADD, Sista, that's just LIFE. I have zero kiddos and no job to speak of right now and I'm wondering where the days go, too!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/08/2006 7:54 PM  

  • Definitely time management issues - or maybe it is ADD masquerading as time management issues.

    ADD goes something more like this:

    Me: What did you do at school today?
    Son: What?
    Me: What did you do at school today?
    Son: What did you say?
    Me: Did you do anything at school today?
    Son: I want a dog.

    By Blogger Richard, at 3/09/2006 11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home