DebbieDoesLife

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ya-Ya Weekend

Wonderful.

The house. The food (the lasagna was awesome!). The wine. The hot tub. The chick flicks. The laughter. That is probably my favorite thing about this past weekend is the laughter. The rich, right from the belly, laughing. And the moments of real touching. Not skin to skin. But soul touching. The deep knowledge that I am not alone in this journey I call MY LIFE.

A laughing moment: Finding a neat Mexican restaurant and all eagerly running in, throats poised for that first salty, sour taste of tequila, lime and triple sec....to find out we were in a dry county. WHAT??? The transvestite (and honey, loads of make-up and fake nails do NOT make thee a woman) on the drums almost made up for that lack of liquor. Our waiter was nice enough to make a road trip for us. I'm sure he figured his chances of surviving the evening AND the size of his tip was dependent on getting some drinks for this estrogen laced, and desperately thirsty group of women.

Artful and Awesome: The glass blowing studio. Incredible art and an incredible way of expressing beauty. It was fascinating to watch this artist produce a piece right in front of us. And, do a running monologue that had us all in stitches. I wish I could do something like that. Of course, scenes of Lucille Ball and what she could do with 3 super heated ovens and red hot molten glass come to mind and make me leave it to the professionals.

The only dark spot was this afternoon on the drive home. When we met the biggest asshole of a State Trooper. Our group rode in two different cars and my friend/driver opted to take a more scenic route other than the Interstate. There were three of us chatting away and suddenly, I noticed the cars coming towards us were veering off on the shoulder of the road and a split second later we heard a siren. My friend slowed immediately and pulled to the right and a State Trooper whizzed past. We commented how he seemed to come out of nowhere and how we didn't hear his siren until right then. Then we thought no more of it for the next 10-15 minutes and we came upon an accident scene. We slowed to a stop, peering out the window at an ambulance and two fire trucks. It looked like there was definately someone hurt but no fatalities.

We were forced to stop and a trooper walked up to our window. Imagine if you will, brown uniformed officer, topping out at about 5'5" with a big cowboy hat on. Oh yeah, and a huge chip of something on his shoulder...

Trooper: Ma'm, it is the law that you must pull over and get out of the way of an emergency vehicle.
My Friend/Driver: I'm sorry. I didn't hear your siren and the minute I did I pulled over.
Trooper: Sorry doesn't cut it ma'm. You have to get out of the way! You and the car behind you slowed me down!
My F/D: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be in the way.
Trooper: I don't care. You have to pay attention and get out of my way!

My friend apologized several times and luckily, kept her cool. This jerk-off of a cop was rude and spoiling for a fight. As we drove off my friend, who is not one to cuss or be ugly ever, was visibly upset by his upbraiding. She put her hand up and flipped him off (of course he couldn't see since we were too far away and thank goodness for tinted windows) and said, "This is all I can say to you."

Looking back I could see he was reeming out the next driver too. Honestly, I think THAT guy must have been the one who truly slowed him down but why didn't the cop just pass him? And why blame us too when the minute we noticed him we moved?

I feel that just because he was short and obviously not getting any, he did not need to take it out on my friend.

Other than that it was a wickedly successful, soul filling Ya-Ya weekend.

16 Comments:

  • I love girlfriend weekends. And, I think I've met that trooper -- or at least a variation of him. I never have understood officers who immediately decide you're guilty of whatever, and that you did it on purpose to ruin their day. I'm glad your friend got to have her say without getting in trouble :)

    By Blogger Carmel, at 3/06/2006 12:33 AM  

  • I was there and it was a wonderful weekend - exactly the kind that re-charges your batteries completely.

    Ya-Ya!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 6:33 AM  

  • you're smart to take the time and spend some $ on weekends like this.

    go ya-ya's

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 6:40 AM  

  • Sounds like an awesome weekend, except for the Trooper. Glad you had a good time. :)

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 3/06/2006 6:50 AM  

  • Stupid cops and their power trips. I dated a cop once. All he cared about was what kind of car he was issued and what color his uniform was.

    I'm glad you had fun with the Ya-Ya sisters. You deserved the break!

    By Blogger Tink, at 3/06/2006 10:47 AM  

  • short and not getting any? some guys lead hard lives.......

    By Blogger mal, at 3/06/2006 10:48 AM  

  • You sure you weren't in La?

    By Blogger Renee, at 3/06/2006 11:02 AM  

  • I had to re-read the Mexican restaurant part a couple times. Did your waiter drive somewhere to get you alcohol??? Man, I'm thinking about sending him a tip for that. Can we bring him with us to the B-List Blogfest?

    By Blogger Mignon, at 3/06/2006 12:47 PM  

  • Yes! the waiter drove to the next county to buy us beer. We tipped him well. It helped us to tolerate the bad drag queen.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 3/06/2006 12:59 PM  

  • Oh, that sounds like so much fun. Except for the asshole state trooper.

    Now I want a margarita. But it's the middle of the work day and employers tend to frown on that sort of thing. I don't get it, personally.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 1:36 PM  

  • Now I want a margarita too. Hmmmm, I work from home. I can drink all day long!!!!!!

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 3/06/2006 2:33 PM  

  • Your weekend sound mahvelous dahling! I'm glad you & all your yaya girls had a blast! Screw the trooper, he's nada!

    By Blogger jane, at 3/06/2006 4:08 PM  

  • Yay for girlfriends and how spending time together can really fill up your soul.
    I think there should be some kind of rule that you have to have a weekend like that a few times a year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2006 4:08 PM  

  • Glad you kicked it with the Ya-Ya's, but sorry the guy had to be such a dick.

    Never fails.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 3/07/2006 12:37 AM  

  • I am so jealous of your Ya-Ya weedend. I need one of those! Laughing till it hurts is the best exercise for the body and soul.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2006 6:20 AM  

  • A good Ya-Ya weekend is always helpful.

    The cop clearly had little-big-man syndrome.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 3/08/2006 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home