DebbieDoesLife

Friday, February 17, 2006

Humane Society Drop Out

Coming home last night it was dark and getting late. I was on a road with no shoulder and where everyone drive at least 50-60 mph. As I whizzed by suddenly I saw two little eyes and right as I went by I realized it was a little dog.

He was brown and white and I would guess a Shih Tzu or mix of some sort. He was dirty and straggly looking. It looked like he was trying to cross and I was already passing him as I saw him. There was a line of cars behind me and no where safe to turn in and try and turn around.

In my head I went through the list of "why nots".

1. I already have three dogs. Cannot take in any more.
2. Already have a house full of kids, hubs and SIL. Cannot take in any more.
3. Even if I did stop could I safely get out of my car and try and catch this little guy? What if I get killed?
4. I'm really busy now with 4 different newsletters and cannot take in any more.

Well, I just got home from driving that way this morning and I saw him again. This time though he was laying, twisted on the side of the road. Never made it to the other side. Now he's just a tiny smudge of brown and white. His hair flutters a little as cars whoosh by. A vulture was already perched on the fence behind watching him. Waiting for him to rot a little I guess.

I cried as I drove just like I am crying now as I type. I feel terrible. I should have stopped. The poor little thing was probably dumped by some asshole. Of course, then he was passed on the road by shits like me who were too busy to take a moment or a day out of their own lives to help.

16 Comments:

  • Oh no, how horrible. I'm sorry that happened. But try not to feel guilty, most of us would have kept going too. Too much going on as it is.

    By Blogger Renee, at 2/17/2006 10:29 AM  

  • Oh, Debbie. That's just so sad. I have been in your shoes before though and kept going. It is heart-breaking though, I agree...

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 2/17/2006 10:30 AM  

  • Try not to beat yourself up too much. I agree with Wordgirl; the dog's in a better place now.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 2/17/2006 11:19 AM  

  • What a sad story. :( I can only imagine how you feel. Don't beat yourself up too much though, you noticed and cared about the dog, which is more than many people probably did. At least he's in a better place now.


    Kestrel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 11:50 AM  

  • It might have happened even if you did stop, and you'd blame yourself for that too. The person to blame is whoever left him there, poor little guy.

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 2/17/2006 12:24 PM  

  • I'm crying too. There really was nothing that could have been done, and I'm glad you didn't stop because I've lost friends in accidents at the side of the road. I'm just sad there are people out there that could do that to a little dog, as I'm sure you are too.

    By Blogger Heather, at 2/17/2006 12:55 PM  

  • I'm so sorry Debbie. Oh, I feel so sad for you. You are a kindhearted person and I can only imagine how hard you are being on yourself right now. Try not to and know that you will do many kind things in the future.
    Be gentle with yourself okay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 2:27 PM  

  • He probably had some nasty disease that would have passed itself on to your other dogs. It's much better that you didn't stop. The person to blame is the person who dumped him.

    I once hit a Hooker's dog. You think I'm bullshitting. I'm not. The Hookers used to have a couch they would sit at on the corner of these main roads. They had a stray dog that would occupy the couch with them. I was driving by one night and the dog ran out in front of me. No more Hooker dog. I felt horrible.

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/17/2006 2:40 PM  

  • Ugh, I'm so sorry.

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 2/17/2006 6:45 PM  

  • Just the fact that you care and even noticed that little dog sets you apart from a large majority of the population. It is OK to feel sad and mad about the situation...don't start to worry until you pass by a little brown and white patch on the road and fail to even consider it. If it helps, I beleive in doggy heaven.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/17/2006 10:28 PM  

  • You were right. You could well have been hit by a car, and that dog might have darted out in front of an oncoming car if you spooked him trying to catch him. So don't be to hard on yourself. It's ok to cry, though.

    By Blogger Carmel, at 2/18/2006 8:17 AM  

  • I'm with River Witch. The person who should bear all the guilt and regret is the person who abandoned the dog in the first place.

    Obviously, you love dogs or wouldn't have three, and clearly you're a responsible pet owner or you wouldn't have even have noticed the dog or had a mental debate on what to do.

    Make a donation in the dog's memory to your local animal shelter if it makes you feel better.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/18/2006 10:43 AM  

  • God bless you and your soft little heart. Maybe it was a quick way to go, at least.

    By Blogger The Queen Mama, at 2/18/2006 9:37 PM  

  • That is such a sad story. But please dont be too hard on yourself Debbie. You did what was logically reasonable, unfortunatley, he died. Chances are though, he didn't suffer.
    Personally, I believe there are things worse than death, such as starving & abandonment. Maybe he's in a better place now.
    Please go easy on yourself.

    By Blogger jane, at 2/19/2006 7:52 PM  

  • Oh man...I'm bawling over here. But it's not your fault. I like v-grrrl's donation idea.

    I'm sorry you went through that and the people who abandoned him deserve a special place in hell.

    By Blogger Brooke, at 2/20/2006 3:35 AM  

  • I am not sure if you would have been able to catch him, don't be too hard on yourself, as everyone has already said, you did not drop him off.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 2/20/2006 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home