DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

News You Can't Use

Just some things I notice, discover, or cock my head and go hmmmm, as I go about my day....

I can power walk faster than some people can jog.

Why would you come to the park to walk the track and eat a whole bag of popcorn while doing it? It might have something to do with the extra 100 lbs. you are carrying around. This is almost as bad as the people talking on their cell while they walk. I always want to ask if they are a doctor or somebody really, really important. I leave my phone in the car or at home while I exercise. Never once have my children called whilst bleeding out an artery or any other tragedy that would truly require my assistance or presence in less than 30 minutes.

Is anybody watching the Olympics? Why is this not as popular as it once was? When I was growing up, watching the Olympics and cheering on the home team was such a BFD.

What will happen when our obsession with looking younger passes? Will we all want to look old?

Did anyone else notice that when Dave Chappelle was on Oprah that he looked and acted like he was on something? He was totally random at times during the interview.

In January, an Anglican church vicar in Cambridge, England, commenced twice-monthly services for goths (with black garments and rock music) at his St. Edward King and Martyr church. Vicar Martin Ramshaw, 34, said he is a goth himself and reports that his dozen or so worshippers go straight from services to a goth nightclub. (He will soon issue goth T-shirts with Jesus speaking, "If the world hates you, remember, it hated me first.")

Sushi is the food of the gods. (thank you to the man I married for a lovely Valentine lunch!)

My youngest and I are reading "Charlotte's Web" together each night. Even though I have read this book at least 3 times, it still makes me want a baby pig that I can feed with a bottle.

13 Comments:

  • I still remember my second-grade teacher reading Charlotte's Web to the class. It still makes me cry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 5:30 AM  

  • My grammer school showed the movie Charlotte's Web every year. And every year, my sister would get so upset that she would need to be taken out of the room.

    If I tried to eat popcorn while walking the track I would probably end up choking on it!

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 2/15/2006 6:34 AM  

  • "Some Pig"!

    Such a great story.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 2/15/2006 9:06 AM  

  • Hi,
    New to your blog. Enjoy your thoughts (so far) :-)

    Not only Dave Chappelle but did you happen to see Tom Sizemore on The Big Idea (or whatever it is called) with Donnie Deutch?
    He was completely stoned, and I think Donnie could tell and was embarassed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 10:12 AM  

  • Maybe if they had a "Eating While Jogging" competition more people would watch the Olympics huh?

    And Mmmmmm, Sushi. I'm jealous. Hoop and I had pork loaf. But he did buy me 12 long stem roses so I can't complain.

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/15/2006 10:20 AM  

  • Thank you Debbie, I always learn something new and refreshing when I visit your site!

    I am watching the Olympics because I'm fascinated with the extreme outdoor sports like moguls and halfpipe and I LOVE the ice skating!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 10:30 AM  

  • I too remember watching the Olympics when I was a kid and being completely spellbound by it all.

    I think the reason no one gives a shit now is because we literally have 150 channels to watch. When I was a kid, we had seven channels. SEVEN! It was watch the Olympics or go to bed, for chrissakes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 10:48 AM  

  • On the Olympics, I do remember it being a much bigger deal (probably had something to do with there only being 3 channels back then) also I vividly remember being in 7th grade in 1980 when every kid (at least boy) in the country was a hockey fan for a week.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 10:56 AM  

  • Debbie, we're reading Charlotte's Web right now too (just finished the part where the mom goes to that kick ass doctor who thinks Charlotte's cool for sitting and listening to the animals)!!

    Yeah, the apathy about the Olympics bugs me too. We don't have cable, but tune in religiously every night, whether Americans are competing or not. But we're sports junkies. (But hooray! for the last couple nights Madeleine wanted to watch the Olympics instead of begging for Dragon Tales).

    By Blogger Mignon, at 2/15/2006 11:25 AM  

  • Our obsession with looking young will NEVER pass so no point in pondering that question!!

    Our class is reading Charlotte's Web right now. The kids love it as much now as we did.Debbie, you want a cute baby pig to feed with a bottle? Well, I want a super cool, sharp tongue spider that will weave affirmations above my
    bed each night. Then I could awake each morning too "Some Chick" or "Stupendous" or "Stunning". That would get the day off to a positive start!

    AS for Sushi......ICK!! I have tried but can't bring myself to eat it. Of course it isn't too suprising considering I am one who prefers my Filet Mignon very well done (get lots of dirty looks at restraunts for that one).

    As for "Goth Jesus"...interesting view point I guess. Honestly, someone resembling Jesus,with his worn robe and sandles, would probably be frowned upon in most churches today. My view......a Christian is a Christian be they preppy gen X-er's or Goth. Does Jesus really care as long as we are living his gospels. I'm relieved, actually, I thought Goths were devil worshippers!! I stand corrected and guilty of stereo typing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 6:56 PM  

  • Olympics: I'm watching. I love figure skating.

    Sushi: yes, it's the best.

    Charlotte's Web: one of the best books ever.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/16/2006 6:46 AM  

  • I have not had time for the Olympics, but I am not sure why everyone else is not watching them...is it the commercials?

    Eating popcorn while walking? Hmm, somebody is missing the point of exercising?

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 2/16/2006 10:31 PM  

  • Charlotte's Web rocks. It's the only time I've ever really liked a spider.

    I'd probably be more interested in the Olympics if it weren't for that doggone Dr. McDreamy. Rowr, Rowr!

    As for Dave Chappelle . . . I don't know what was more disturbing. Watching him never make eye contact during the interview or finding out he's married with child(ren). I mean, hello - wasn't "Half Baked" his autobiography? (how sad am I that I know about that movie??)

    By Blogger Melodious, at 2/17/2006 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home