DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's

Today is the retail industry's idea of romance. It's Tuesday so I can promise you it won't be all that romantic here at my house. Sure, we might do a little "wrestling" but it will be after the kids have been helped with homework, bathed, read to and put to bed.

Tonight I plan to make spaghetti and we will eat by candlelight and have our cherry 7 up in wine goblets. The boys love it when I do this. Makes it feel all special.

Valentine's Day has never been a big, big deal to me or to my husband. When I was growing up my dad always brought me and my mom a big heart shaped box - you know the ones with the plastic flowers and ribbon on them. They would be full of interesting shaped, cheap chocolates that you knew were hiding that nasty pink fluff stuff in them but you nibbled anyway, leaving little teeth marks behind. That was Valentine's Day to me.

When I got married, I was working out and in shape and my wonderful husband brought me lingerie the first year. Then after that he would give me a card and maybe work out clothes but no chocolate. About 4 years ago I was telling my dad over the phone about how Valentine's Day meant a box of chocolates and that hubby dear never brought them to me. That year my Dad sent me a box of Godiva Chocolates! With them was a note that said, "I wanted to make sure you got some chocolate on Valentine's this year!" Well, hubs got the message loud and clear....this morning waiting for me on my keyboard was a card and some Dove dark chocolates - my favorite.

Happy Valentines Day!!

13 Comments:

  • Happy V-day right back atcha!

    My mom was a bit of a packrat and she used to collect big, coloured goblets...I always felt like a queen when she'd let me drink from one. It does make it feel all special.

    I love the imagery of you leaving little teeth marks in the cheap chocolates...LOL, I do the same thing. ;)

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 2/14/2006 10:32 AM  

  • The dark ones are the best - and they have the health benefit of anti-oxidants. Eat the whole box yourself, don't share!

    Happy V-day! :)

    By Blogger Mrs. Harridan, at 2/14/2006 12:03 PM  

  • Dove is the best. I love the truffles. I can eat a whole box all by myself. But I'll share if the other party cares to pout enough. Glad hubby finally caught on.

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/14/2006 12:41 PM  

  • So that's what I've been doing wrong...I've got to get my dad to shame Hubby into buying me the chocolates!

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 2/14/2006 1:03 PM  

  • Have a great Valentine's Day!

    By Blogger Renee, at 2/14/2006 1:08 PM  

  • Dove dark chocolate is my favorite. Try melting it with cream and pouring it over ice cream some time; simply divine.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 2/14/2006 3:39 PM  

  • Awww...way to go Debbie's Dad! Sometimes those husbands just need a little not-so-subtle hint!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 2/14/2006 5:07 PM  

  • Man, spaghetti with 7-up? And fire? Where do you live - I'm coming right over!

    By Blogger Rock, at 2/14/2006 5:37 PM  

  • Nothing says love like chocolate and 7up. Happy V Day!

    By Blogger Brooke, at 2/14/2006 9:36 PM  

  • Sounds like a nice day! Good for you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/14/2006 10:19 PM  

  • I like the fattening milk chocolate, but the trick is that your hubby got you the right kind of chocolate.

    Just when you are thinking about taking the out to the curb, they go and do something sweet.

    Happy Valentine's Day.

    By Blogger Ditsy Chick, at 2/14/2006 10:33 PM  

  • I love the tiny, fancy boxes of truffles.

    I made Valentines for my husband and kids this year, but I think the chocolate is all the kids care about.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 5:28 AM  

  • Bonus points for mine - there was a card for me with a gift card for a massage and spa pedicure at a local salon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2006 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home