DebbieDoesLife

Friday, February 10, 2006

I'm Back

What a "vacation." No, I don't have a tan and I didn't read a book, collect shells or sight-see. Or didn't I?

Sightseeing: One night I took the youngest to meet his scout group at the local fire station. There is a reason they make posters of these guys! Two of them were hot, hot, hot. I was dying to yell fire just so they could come with their hoses and.....sorry, I'm a married woman and getting carried away.

Collecting: We are going to be building a house and breaking ground in the next few weeks, so I am digging through books trying to pick stone, brick, tile, light fixtures. There will only be about 10,000 decisions to make! Can't they just throw something together and then I will tell the builder whether or not I like it?? I am missing a gene or something when it comes to this stuff. My other two sil's can shop all day and spend tons of time thinking about stuff like this. Not me. I actually liked my first apartment when I used an empty box (with a tasteful bandana throw over it) as a nightstand.

Local Color: Stopped by one of my clients place of business. It is a rehab/assistant living community. It is always depressing to see these elderly people. Two women were sitting in the open area at a table with crayons and preschool looking coloring books. They were bent over intently coloring their little pictures of a puppy and a flower. The others always give me this look like "Get me out of here!" or "Take me with you - I don't know why I am here!" Every time I see things like that I retake my vow to have a date with the garden hose, car and the garage someday rather than live like that. Don't get me wrong -- this is a nice place with really nice people working there. I just don't want to get that old.

Souvenoirs: Ran down to what is known as Harwin. It is a street where tons of Asian people have shops - tons of jewelery, purses (knock-offs - instead of a Coach purse these have a G on them - I guess for Goach???), clothes, shoes. It is all cheap, cheap, cheap! Always fun to go and get some cheap Harwin crap.

Mailed a query letter off to an agent about my book. Keep your fingers, toes, legs and eyes crossed for good luck.

8 Comments:

  • I must be missing the same shopping gene. I, too, like to see a finished space and then work backwards from there.

    Good luck with the book!

    By Blogger Arabella, at 2/10/2006 8:12 AM  

  • You are going to be super busy over the next year. So many exciting things happening; I can't wait to read about the home building process. Good luck with everything!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2006 8:41 AM  

  • OH, wow. Good luck with your book! Tell us more about that sometime! I haven't been to Harwin in years, but it's a blast. I need to grab some girlfriends and do that one weekend. Too fun...and good luck with the house stuff. I KNOW the stress you're about to go through.

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 2/10/2006 8:48 AM  

  • Apparently, I write great queries, and then let my books flop. This is what I have heard over and over. I'm a great storyteller, they say, but a let down in how I tell it. Okaaaay. I'm going to get a freaking ghostwriter now! I have no idea where to look. I've got ideas spilling out my ears, though, so maybe I should get more than one?

    As for the house, I've done two. Advice: Do not paint the inside of your house WHITE. It looks stark and bland. Choose off white, or even mocha. Mocha does not look at dark as you think. If you can afford it, get tile. Tile will raise your house value. If not, then get really high quality carpet, like tiny short shag, or Berber. That long carpet crap will track and leave trails. Then, look at your existing doorknobs and stuff. Do you like gold or silver? Antiqued or not? Knobs or lever things? One thing I would definitaly do is to get the "Decor" light switches. Very cool. Break it down in your head, look at what you've already got, and then make sure it matches. My neighbor's exterior is Burnt Orange and believe it or not, it doesn't look ugly, it's pretty nice. So, drive around other neighboorhoods that will be similiar and look and their stuff. The danger is the landscaping, in my opinion. Most people can't figure out how to put plants in to save their lives. I looked at a million and one websites with demo plans and pictures. Hence, my yard (at my other house) looks pretty.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2006 9:54 AM  

  • Now if you could just find me a purse with two G's on it, I'd be all set!

    By Blogger The Gradual Gardener, at 2/10/2006 10:02 AM  

  • I'm crossing my eyes for you girl. If they get stuck this way you better give me an honorable mention when your book gets published. ;)

    I don't have the decorator's gene either. My idea of coordinated is if the combination of colors doesn't make you want to hurl. No sick feeling? We're good.

    By Blogger Tink, at 2/10/2006 10:05 AM  

  • Gotta love hot firefighters!
    And how exciting about your book!

    By Blogger Renee, at 2/10/2006 3:51 PM  

  • How exciting to be building! My sister did it and just about lost her mind (and she is rich beyond words and $$$ was not an issue!! Ya, she has a full size movie theater in the basement>>>) anyway, she claimed to lack 'the gene' but her house turned out beautiful. Do you have a Parade of Homes type thing around there? If so, hit it with friends and take pictures. I can't help but laugh at the thought of the shelves in your living room that I complimented you on because of the way you had them set up and decorated, and then you informed me that Angie had come over and fixxed that up for you!! I think you need Angie and I to come help you set up the new house!! Any excuse to get together!! Interested?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/10/2006 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home