DebbieDoesLife

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Latest

I just got back last night from a Writer's Conference in another state. Sorry to all my regular reads since I am way behind on my blog reading and commenting!!

The conference was very fun. A bunch of people from my regular group came too so we all hung out and got to know each other as you only can at a conference...in another state. You know, what happens at conference, stays at the conference??? Kidding. The worst thing I did was drink two glasses of wine. Okay, the real worst thing I did was eat the banquet chicken. Blech!

But, I did get 10 minutes with an editor and he really liked my book idea and wants to see more. Of course, I am a million miles from anything really happening but it made me feel better. And, he told the woman right after me that her idea had been done too many times already. So, its not like he said the same thing to everyone as I originally suspicioned.

The conference was very motivating though and makes me want to come home and write. Which I needed.

Signs seen along the Interstate on the way to conference:
"All Nude, BYOB" (bring what bottle??? that makes me shudder)
Handpainted on a trailer parked out front of...another trailer "Perfect Match, She's blind, I'm deaf"
I also fear that the armadillo is extinct because there were sooooo many dead on the side of the road (okay, thats the only way you ever see an armadillo - really! Ask around, how many people have ever seen a live armadillo?).

Other news: I interviewed for a job last week and I am seriously considering it. I would be in sales but more relationship building. Visiting customers and then taking them out to lunch. Hey! That's my life now but no one pays me for it!!! I'll keep you posted.

11 Comments:

  • Sounds great- congrats on the encouragement from the editor. I have never seen a live armadillo... or a dead one for that matter.

    By Blogger Heather, at 5/08/2006 6:39 AM  

  • It was like a networking conference? What do you write? As you know, I'm an editor, but not the cool kind.

    I have never seen an armadillo--dead or alive. I'm ok with that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 9:05 AM  

  • Welcome back and congrats on the editor thing.
    I was just talking about Armadillos with Jeff last night because he just returned from a trip to San Antonio and went to a ranch where they have armadillo races. He was questioning whether it's humane to do that to them and I said better that than being dead on the side of the road which is the only way I've ever seen them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 9:22 AM  

  • I was wondering where you went. I kept scanning the news for signs of a woman on the loose screaming "I'm free!" Hmmm. Maybe that was MY fantasy.

    That's excellent news about what the editor said. Any bit of help and motivation is good.

    I have a baby armadillo that chills out in front of my work. He once sat on my foot while I was deep into a conversation on my cell. I wiggled my shoe and he lumbered off to dig in the grass.

    By Blogger Tink, at 5/08/2006 10:13 AM  

  • Being paid to go out to eat lunch! Wow! I'm in.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for the book!

    By Blogger Renee, at 5/08/2006 10:36 AM  

  • Congrats on the positives from the editor! That's excellent.

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 5/08/2006 2:01 PM  

  • What's an armadillo? I thought they were dinosaurs. Or overgrown potato bugs. As I recall they have cute ears, is that right?

    VERY cool on the editor pitch! Keep us posted on it, will ya?

    By Blogger Mignon, at 5/08/2006 3:55 PM  

  • Totally looking forward to seeing what the book does for you. I'm currently working on a project about Feet. Yes. The toes kind. :) And I've seen an armadillo at the zoo. I'm voting with mignon on "potato bug".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2006 5:55 PM  

  • Good luck with the book and the job! It sounds like things are going well with both of them.

    By Blogger Arabella, at 5/08/2006 5:57 PM  

  • Awesome news with the editor meeting! Fingers are crossed for you.

    Aren't conferences great motivators? I felt the same way after the one I attended last weekend. :)

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 5/09/2006 1:11 PM  

  • If you get the job, does it mean we'll go from DebbieDoesLife to DebbieDoesLunch?

    Armadillos. What can I say? The most common view of one in Oklahoma was on its back with all four feet pointing to heaven.

    Re the sign: "All Nude, BYOB"

    Maybe that stands for your "Bring your own boobs"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2006 4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home