DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Young Love

Today while exercising I witnessed puppy love. You know the kind, oblivious to the world, we will stick our tongues in each other's mouths in front of people kind of love.

I was on the Reebok machine at the neighborhood workout room for the first time in a while (and the muscles were telling me so with every movement). I was listening to my MP3 player and staring out the window onto the pool. A huge rain storm had just moved through so there was no one swimming. The two lifeguards were there anyway I suppose since the pool was technically open they had to stay at work. The sun had just broken through the clouds so the two lifeguards were in the water with their Baywatch red floatation devices. Did I mention these two were a boy and a girl?

I had already ascertained that these two were friendly. Their position in the water told me so. Then the boy took the girl's head between his hands and he kissed her. It was very romantic, especially for a boy of 16? 17? Of course, he immediately reverted to typical boy behavior and began sticking his tongue out to touch her with it on the forehead, the nose, the chin while she wiggled and giggled and pulled away.

At first, I got all parental and neighborhood association-ish in my mind, "They should not be frolicking, they should be working!" and "They are not being paid to swim around and fondle each other!" Then I looked at them again. From a new point of view.

Young love IS beautiful. These two were both attractive teenagers (isn't it a prerequisite of lifeguards to be gorgeous? or at least passably cute?). They were totally oblivious to the world in that moment. No kids to worry about. In the pool or of their own. No bills to worry about. No dishes or laundry. They could indulge themselves in the moment because they had no distractions.

My entire life is one big distraction. Laundry, bills, errands, kids, cooking, newsletters to write and design. Those moments when I am alone with my husband, who I still love like a teenager, may be far and few between sometimes but I still love that feeling. That feeling that you are the only two people in the world who love each other that much. That feeling that you are in a bubble and time has ceased to exist. That nothing else matters but touching that other person.

Hey, why don't you reach out and touch someone today???

Bonus points if you can name the company who used to use that slogan.

12 Comments:

  • I was a lifeguard when I was a teen. And I am totally hot. So your theory fits! LOL

    PS- Did you hear that Ken Lay died?

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 7/05/2006 5:49 PM  

  • grrr... I had a comment. Blogger dropped it.

    what did I say.... wait.. it will come to me... uh...

    Something about being cute, but never being a lifeguard...

    Cute story.

    AT&T... reach out and touch some one. I use the pharse about the new housing go up... the lots are so close you can reach out and touch your neighbor.. without leaving your yard.

    (This is not my yard.. I have a large lot... the kind they build houses on 30 yrs ago.. but then... my house is 30+ yrs old.)

    By Blogger Brenda, at 7/05/2006 6:21 PM  

  • I know I would have found them annoying if I were there, but the way you described them, they sound very cute.

    By Blogger Mrs. Harridan, at 7/05/2006 8:29 PM  

  • I saw the same sort of scene out my kitchen window a few weeks ago - a boy and girl intermittently making out (relatively chastely) under a tree. I was so tempted to shriek "Get a room!" at them, but I restrained myself. So childish (me, not them).

    I agree - young love is so cute. And I dated a lifeguard. Mmmmmmm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2006 9:08 PM  

  • I think it was AT&T right? Or was it Southwestern Bell? I forget...

    Oh, to feel the way you felt when you were first in love again...you painted such a great picture of that couple that it made me envious and remembering back to that time in my life!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 7/05/2006 11:42 PM  

  • I married the blonde haired, blue-eyed, golden tan lifeguard.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 6:58 AM  

  • Wow, I haven't heard that slogan in a long time!

    MCI?

    By Blogger Arabella, at 7/06/2006 7:21 AM  

  • PDAs gross me out. I hold hands in public at the most. In private though.... heeehee

    I'd love to reach out and touch someone but there aren't any gorgeous single guys anywhere near me at the moment :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2006 9:39 AM  

  • What a sweet story, save for the face licking (gross). I imagine that couple looking back on this day years from now (whether or not they are still together) and remembering the perfectness (is that a word?) of it all... a stormy summer day, the two of them alone, young, no responsibilities, there whole lives ahead of them...(((sigh)))

    By Blogger Babaloo, at 7/06/2006 1:32 PM  

  • I love the way all of my commenters are suddenly ex-lifeguards. Or married to ex-lifeguards. OMG! My hubby was a lifeguard. Funny.

    The winner was Brenda with her AT&T answer.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 7/06/2006 1:53 PM  

  • I was never a lifeguard.

    "I only doggy paddle."

    Brownie points for who can name the movie that was in!

    Puppy love IS sweet... And a tad sad. You're seeing the buds of what will probably never bloom. I think my first boyfriend lasted all of one week lol. I wouldn't revert back to that for anything.

    By Blogger Tink, at 7/06/2006 3:46 PM  

  • "i only dog paddle"

    Fezzik in The Princess Bride

    :-)

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 7/08/2006 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home