DebbieDoesLife

Friday, July 07, 2006

A Little Friday Nonsense


A little this and that on this Friday....

A friend of mine was getting gas the other day. She is a multitasking queen so was buying a cup of coffee inside the station AND talking on her phone about her work while getting gas. She jumped in her car and took off only to hear a loud bang and a clunk. She had forgotten to put the gas pump hose out of her tank! Luckily, there was no spraying like in the movie "Zoolander" but still she has to pay to get it reattached. We laughed our asses off as she told me about it. She said she has officially entered "The Ditziest Person in the World" club.

It kind of freaked me out the other day when they announced Ken Lay died. I had just finished reading my Texas Monthly magazine article about him. It gave me goosebumps as the t.v. announcers here blathered on and on. I think that man has made the front page of the Houston Chronicle more than any other in the last few years. Even today, his cremation article is on the front page!!

While I feel badly for his family, I think he was a crook and in business had no ethics. How can you behave so badly at work and then be such a church-going humanitarian?? I don't believe he ever did any of his good works for any other reason then to bring attention to himself. RIP Kenny Boy. You even found a way to get out of jail time. And, bring a hell of a lot of attention to yourself. Your own perfect ending. He was CEO to the very end.

We have had rain everyday for the last week here and personally, I am hoping it stops today and allows us to have a nice weekend - outdoors. You have yourself a nice weekend too.

12 Comments:

  • I have never known of anyone to ACTUALLY pull the hose off. That's hilarious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2006 9:41 AM  

  • It pisses me off when wrong-doers die before they can be punished. I don't know if you'd call that sadistic or not, but I know there are a lot of poor people out there scowling and cursing him right now. Weasel. I think we should sentence him posthumously.

    Oh, and we have a police officer friend who pulled out of a gas station with the hose still attached. And didn't know it! And drove down one of the busiest streets in town with his lights flashing with the hose clunking along behind him. He will NEVER live that down.

    By Blogger Mignon, at 7/07/2006 9:44 AM  

  • I'm one of those gas-pumpers who always gives the nozzle one more squeeze as I'm pulling it out of the tank so that the last bit of gas drips into my tank and not on my foot or the pavement.

    One non-caffeinated winter morning before the sun was even up, I mechanically did my last squeeze of the nozzle--except I hadn't turned the stupid pump off FIRST. Duh! Sprayed gas all over my clothes, including my leather jacket, which cost more than $50 to get cleaned. Further irony: I was working for an environmental consulting firm and had to go into work smelling like a freaking environmental disaster. Would like some petro chemicals and benzene with your coffee?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2006 12:21 PM  

  • You know, there's this part of me that's wondering if Lay isn't dead and is just faking his death in order to avoid doing time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2006 2:30 PM  

  • He's being cremated? I did not know that. This lends more credibility to the widespread belief he's in Sao Paulo or somewhere down south.

    By Blogger Trish, at 7/07/2006 5:00 PM  

  • If I can't get my money back, then at least the jerk is dead. I hope.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2006 5:47 PM  

  • This is the first I've heard of any 'Lay is Alive' rumors, but it makes sense. Maybe he's hanging out with Elvis.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2006 4:54 AM  

  • You have to see the documentary, "The Smartest Guys in the Room."

    If either of those guys was going to fake his own death it would be Skilling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2006 1:44 PM  

  • mamatulip, that was my very first thought upon hearing that he had died! I'm sure he had enough socked away to make for a nice comfortable life on some tropical island...

    By Blogger Sharon, at 7/09/2006 11:38 PM  

  • I did that same thing once, but I didn't get caught. It was at a crappy little gas station in Atlanta and I realized it right away, got out, threw the hose on the ground and hauled ass. This is why I should NEVER get gas at the same time I get my first coffee of the morning. Lesson learned :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2006 7:51 AM  

  • We aren't allowed to pump our own gas in Oregon....maybe that's why.

    By Blogger Brenda, at 7/10/2006 2:41 PM  

  • Sometimes, as nasty as people can be in business, they do have this humanitarian side to their personaliti It may be guilt, or maybe when the business day is over, a different persona takes over in their private lives, or maybe they may need a sense of balance in their lives.

    By Blogger Dan, at 7/10/2006 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home