DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Another excuse not to...

Went to the doctor yesterday. I felt kinda stupid doing so but I went ahead and did it. I made the appointment because my feet hurt. Really hurt. Especially first thing in the morning, my feet hit the floor and I limp downstairs. And, then throughout the day, if I sit down for any length of time and go to get back up I would groan and moan loudly. For all around me to hear. I live with four men (three right now) so really....how much sympathy do you think I really get??? NOT ENOUGH!

So, I went to the doctor and discovered that I have Plantar's Fasciitis (Fash-ee-itis). There is a commercial right now where the little boy is reading a medical journal and the mother is trying to pronounce the word and he says it. That's what I have. I can't ever remember how to say it either and always want to say Plantar's Fashionista. Which would be a whole other disease of A Woman with Really Awesome and Amazing Shoes. That disease I do not have. But I am working on that one.

No, the picture is not of my feet or I would have to be doing way more than cutting back on the running and boosting the ibuprofen. I just liked that picture. Especially on hot days now, when you take your shoes off and go aaaahhhhhhh!!! That is what my feet FEEL like sometimes.

The good news is it is an overuse injury and can be healed. The bad news is I have to stop running. Especially on the road. My fat cells are already coniving on who gets to explode first, and where. "I get her belly!" "No, I get to do her chin!!"

Oh well, for the next three weeks I will be riding my bike and swimming for cardio. That's all for now, I gotta go put my feet up. Literally.

14 Comments:

  • That picture has scarred me for life.

    "My fat cells are already coniving on who gets to explode first, and where. "I get her belly!" "No, I get to do her chin!!"" Wouldn't it be great if we could tell them WHERE to go? Like, in my tits would be great. ;)

    Hope your feet feel better soon!

    By Blogger Tink, at 7/18/2006 4:11 PM  

  • You got the Shaq attack! He has/had the same thing and it set him back for a whole season.

    Anyway, girl, you need to go lay down some cold hard cash for some good shoes! (Ignore this if you already know blah blah blah) Go to a runners' store and have them fit you for good running and/or walking shoes. They'll watch how you walk and make sure the support and cushioning is right and it makes a HUGE difference. And no flip-flops! And no heels! They're so bad for hurt feet. Also, walking around a cement pool deck barefooted probably isn't helping a lot either... (so says your 30-something mom in Missoula)

    By Blogger Mignon, at 7/18/2006 4:59 PM  

  • Oh, and every time I play soccer my feet are in agony for one full day afterwards and our trainer told me it's because soccer shoes are the least supportive athletic shoe you can find. No support and hard molded studs across the bottom. And here ends the most boring comment of all time...

    By Blogger Mignon, at 7/18/2006 5:02 PM  

  • I had to stop training for a second marathon (at mile 20!!!) for that very reason. Rest IS the best thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/18/2006 5:55 PM  

  • When you said plantar's, I thought of plantar's warts. Guess it's not the same thing. (Mental note: Look this up.) So it sounds like the problem will go away after a few weeks...? Sore feet are so inhibitive. Hoping you're feeling better soon!

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 7/18/2006 8:15 PM  

  • I'm sure you've already googled it, but there are some foot therapy exercises that help too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2006 7:40 AM  

  • Ouch. You know Brooke (http://yespleasenothankyoudropdead.blogspot.com) has this too and from what she's said about it it's no fun at all.

    Hope your tootsies feel better soon. Look at this as an excuse to go get a good massage and have them focus on your feet.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2006 1:05 PM  

  • Yikes, those are some scary feet! Glad they don't belong to you.

    By Blogger Renee, at 7/19/2006 1:59 PM  

  • That picture made me throw up in my mouth a little.

    I hope your feet feel better soon...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/19/2006 2:13 PM  

  • My husband has the same thing, but only in one foot. He got himself fitted for running shoes and that helped a lot. Until it feels better, style be damned. Wear really supportive shoes. When you are better you can compete for the Fashionista award.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 7/19/2006 4:59 PM  

  • Dude I nearly lost my lunch to those feet!

    Oh, and just tell those (invisible) fat cells where to go! (and lemme know if they listen, willya?)

    By Blogger Heather, at 7/19/2006 5:41 PM  

  • You know what might feel good? One of those foot spa thingamajigs. I have one; it's orgasmic. You pour warm water into it (I also add pepperminty foot wash), and press some buttons, and you get heat and bubbles, as well as the satisfaction of telling the men in the household, "I can't get that for you right now; I'm in the foot spa."

    By Blogger Arabella, at 7/20/2006 9:49 AM  

  • I've discovered I had PF when I was 19. It doesn't go away. It's like Carpal Tunnel.

    My right foot is agonizing now. Like you said, if I sit down, or in the morning, I stand up and nearly fall down. I get cortizone shots in my feet every few months to numb it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 5:43 PM  

  • oh. Anonymous is me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/21/2006 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home