DebbieDoesLife

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Warning: Major Cheese Ahead


Whilst enjoying unpacking my boxes (insert sarcastic tone here), I came across a box full of old photos of the boys. The oldest when he was a mere tot of 7 or so, along with old sports teams photos from the various boys at various times in their lives.

It struck me that to an outsider, the boys (in the photos) would be hard to tell apart when they were young. They were all tow-headed, similar smiles and such that to anyone else would look alike. Then it occurred to me that I would never confuse them, in photos or in person. In fact, I could pick them out with my eyes shut. Because I could pick them out by their smell.

Yes! You could put a blindfold over my eyes and I could tell my children apart just by their smell. Or pick them out in a room of 100 kids just by their own individual fragrance.

You all know my mutant power is my sense of smell. But, I would think that other parents could do this party trick too.

Today is my middle son's 14th birthday. Here he is kicking back on a recent camp out. When I said good-night to him last night it was with extra huge hugs and kisses, since it was the last time for me to see him as 13. God, did 13 smell good last night. I'm sure 14 will too, I just always feel so melancholy seeing my boys grow up so fast.

I am well aware that I am living the best days of my life right now. I am smelling the roses and appreciating my life every step of the way...but it is still speeding past.

11 Comments:

  • *sniff, sniff* What a sweet post, Debbie.

    Happy Birthday to your guy. Hope he has a great day. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/12/2006 1:07 PM  

  • 14 is still a little kid age. When I was 14, I still wore glasses and rode a bike with a flower basket. Then it was two years later I went clubbing in NYC!

    Okay not to stress you out! But 16 is when it gets big! He'll want to drive etc. I still think 16 is too young to drive but hey if that's the law...

    HAPPY BDAY to your son!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/12/2006 3:31 PM  

  • If you're smelling those roses, you are one step ahead of most people at least. Happy birthday to your boy!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 11/12/2006 7:43 PM  

  • Just yesterday I had a friend over, and they were looking at pics of my kids when they were little. Every third picture, they guessed wrong for which kid it was! I knew, of course. And I know what you mean about the smell- I know what my kids smell like too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/13/2006 7:31 AM  

  • I was on a scrapbooking weekend this past weekend and a friend found some old pictures of our daughters when they were in elementary school. Time is flying by and every day I am more aware that my time with my kids, here under my roof is winding down. And so I am really trying to be "in the moment" and enjoy their company. Except when they are driving me crazy, of course! No, I have good kids and am finding myself enjoying them more and more as they are developing their own ways of looking at the world.

    I just read over this and it sounds pretty sentimental and syrupy. Oh well....I'm one of those people who can cry at a Hallmark card.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/13/2006 7:48 AM  

  • New job, moving, finishing a new house.... you sound like you are doing great despite all the stress!

    14 was one of my favorite years... growing up, but still allowed to be a kid, learning so many things about myself. I hope your son enjoys it as much as I did.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/13/2006 11:44 AM  

  • Sam smells like celery. Celery and baby soap. I don't know why, but I love it.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 11/13/2006 2:01 PM  

  • I love the way people I care about smell... Not so much strangers. :D

    14 is the last "kid" year. 15/16 are usually the break out years. But it gets easier after that. And having adult kids (from what my Mom says) is really nice too. There are still so many things to look forward to.

    By Blogger Tink, at 11/13/2006 3:08 PM  

  • I'm BIG on smell. It's really important. And though the boys' room is usually a familiar culprit in the stink department, I also find that a kitchen washcloth that has been previously used to wipe up milk can make the eyes water. And..garbage that includes chicken parts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/14/2006 10:10 AM  

  • I love this post. That's cool how you can smell them out. I need to try that. Of course, I could always smell my boy; he's smellier than most.

    By Blogger Renee, at 11/14/2006 10:26 AM  

  • Good that you recognize the best-of-times, because the years with kids still in the house are the best, the most frantic too, but the best.

    I have four kids, youngest 22, oldest 30 (YIKES! when did that happen) all out of the house now. Too, too quiet. No one around to go toilet-papering houses, no fun, at all!

    However, I can still look at my 6'2" 30 year-old son and see him as my precious baby boy!! : ) He does smell better, though!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 11/14/2006 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home