DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

It Ain't Easy Being Small

Almost thirteen year old middle son plays football. He had a game last night and started at cornerback. He played probably 3/4's of the game. I saw a few times where the other team guys were just so much bigger than he was that he just bounced off of them as he tried to stop their advance with the ball. He did everything he was supposed to do except that he's one of the smallest kids on the team. He's all heart though.

After the game, he got in the car and I could tell by the look on his face he was upset. On the verge of tears upset. So I said, "Good game" (we won). He just nodded. Then I said, "You played well." to which he shook his head no. I then asked, "Did the coaches yell at you or something?" And he shook his head no. Then I asked him, which I already knew that this was it, "Are you upset because of your size?" That's when the tears spilled over. He nodded and cried all the way home.

It was everything I could do not to cry with him. He can't do anything about his size. It's so frustrating and I don't know what to tell him. I can't make this all better with just a kiss, hug or a phone call to the proper authorities!

Three more games and then after Christmas he will be in track. Those damn hurdles better be pretty short or I will go out there with my hacksaw one night....late.

3 Comments:

  • Oh my goodness, I'm feeling for you on this one.

    My 12 year old has always been short for his age, and we've gone through similar circumstances. He'd like to play football but won't because he's "too small."

    His size has always been an issue, and I pray he finds a way to deal with it as an adult. Right now, he's counting on something the pediatrician told him two years ago. Based on my height and my husband's, he told son he'd be about 5'8". He was THRILLED.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/12/2005 9:02 PM  

  • Been there, delt with that.........both my boys were small for football but played their hearts out....they were at least fast! Then came High school .....let's face it..speed can only make up for so much!!! Now they skateboard.....an individual sport!! It scares the hell out of me to watch them do their stuff but I have to admit....Damn they're good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2005 10:23 AM  

  • ...by the way, Debbie, the previous responce was from Carol in Wisconsin. Take care!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/15/2005 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home