DebbieDoesLife

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Life Post Hurricane Rita

Well, Rita ended up being skeered of Houston and instead went for poor Beaumont and Lake Charles. I am very thankful that it did but I feel sorry for the many people who did end up suffering.

We ended up staying and riding it out, simply because we could not get out. The mass exodus of a million people amounted to a lot of gridlock. When I saw the bus load of poor retirees go up in flames I decided that my family and I were safer facing the hurricane. Our gamble paid off. Believe me, it was a gamble. We could have just have easily gotten the full brunt of Rita and had 100 mph winds. We had instead 30-40 mph winds and several sleepless nights. The next door neighbor had a big pine tree fall on his house. We just had a mess of leaves and branches that tried to fill up our pool.

The real test of Rita was the next morning when it had all passed and then the POWER WENT OUT! Yesterday was okay. It was kind of like camping. Plus, it was cool outside and nice to sit outside and visit with the neighbors. But then it was still out today. And it was hot, like 93 degrees!! Camping isn't so fun then and I woke up with a hangover. Whilst visiting with the neighbors we imbibed a lot of wine. Finally at about 6 pm our power came back on. Good thing. The kids were having absolute withdrawals from no t.v.

Now I just have to make it through the next two days. School is cancelled until Wednesday!!! Oh, no!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home