DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

You ARE What You Eat


I have created a diet that works. I know, I know. I should write a book and make millions of dollars but being the philanthropist that I am, I am giving away this information right here, right now.

The hubs has been under a tad bit of work stress for the last 8 months. He is a comfort eater. A stress eater. King of the Oreo.

He eats out a lot and his routine is to order either A. cheeseburger and fries or B. steak. My hubby is nothing if not a creature of habit.

Eight weeks ago he reached critical mass and asked for my help.

Super Diet Debbie came to the rescue. You know how much I love the BBC show "You Are What You Eat" so I applied many of Gillian's principles.

Here is what I asked him to do. For 8 weeks give up:

1. Red Meat

2. Yellow cheese (and most cheese but a sprinkle of lowfat mozzarella would be okay here and there)

3. No Fried Foods

4. No processed foods (nothing out of a box)

Add to his diet fish, chicken, fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds and beans.

He has always worked out, so yes, exercise is a part of the equation too. I have followed the same diet for the last 8 weeks too. I have never followed a diet for more than 2 days and yet, I managed to stay on this one the entire time.

We introduced ourselves to the fishy side of the menu. Snacked on trail mixes of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and yogurt for probiotics. The hubs felt a difference in two days and has steadily felt better, sleeps better and DRUMROLL PLEASE.......

as of this morning has lost 17.5 lbs in almost 8 weeks!!!

I have lost 4 myself and I am thrilled. I honestly believe this is a diet that we will maintain as a lifestyle. We plan to add back in lean cuts of beef but only a couple times per week.

And, if you are curious did I give up alcohol? Hell no. That's crazy talk.

9 Comments:

  • Wow! Good work!

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 9/10/2008 8:15 AM  

  • Yeah, it's always that "no alcohol" that ruins me.

    It sounds like a good plan you have here. A little bit like South Beach, which always works for me, but is so much work I get aggravated with it.

    By Blogger Candy, at 9/10/2008 8:55 AM  

  • Well, it is a good thing you draw the line at SOMETHING! (a world without margaritas is a world not worth living, eh?)

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 9/10/2008 3:46 PM  

  • I have to agree, my glass of wine or my margarita keeps me sane!

    I've been vegetarian/with fish and shell fish for the past 3 years and I slowly lost weight until I reached 125 and have maintained that for the past couple of years. I'm 5'6" so a good weight for me. Really is easy to live with. However, that said, the "not eat anything out of a box" my down fall is salt and vinegar potato chips, geez I just can eat the entire bag!

    That and Coke....which is vegetarian right?

    By Blogger PEACE, at 9/11/2008 12:51 AM  

  • Thank God you didn't give up the booze. That IS crazy talk. :) I'm glad these new healthy choices are working for you. I thin the biggest part is that you are doing it together. It is very hard to eat in a healthful way if your partner insist on snarfing m&m's in front of you. COngratulations and keep up the good work.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 9/12/2008 12:49 PM  

  • Most impressive of you guys to change your eating habits like that! (Applause)

    By Blogger teahouse, at 9/19/2008 8:08 AM  

  • I wish my guy had that willpower. I've been making healthy meals at home for two months: hummus, black bean burgers, salmon, etc. Hoop loves it all. But he always orders crap for lunch at work. SO ANNOYING.

    By Blogger Tink, at 9/25/2008 9:38 AM  

  • I see your look a like, Heather Locklear, didn't give up alcohol either, her picture in the paper this morning was pretty bad. Hope she is having a better day today!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 9/29/2008 12:17 PM  

  • Holy cow! Congrats to you both!

    I would like to lose about 7 pounds. That's all...but it's SO damn hard! And I hear you on the alcohol. Tee hee. ;)

    By Blogger BlondeMomBlog (Jamie), at 10/07/2008 6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home