DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gratitude Moments

You know I am a lover of parties. Birthday parties, dinner parties, New Years Eve, even the occasional pity party.

I've been a little down lately so this morning while I was out for my morning run I thought about something a friend of mine recently talked about. She spoke of being grateful and giving thanks for every moment of everyday and finding the gratitude in EVERYTHING. Even not so great things. Especially the not so great things. Super hot day? Be grateful for the sunshine. Pouring rain? Be grateful for the plants.

I was about a 1/4 of the way into my run and noticed a blister on my heel was acting up - despite a band-aid, sock and different shoes. Darn! It stung with every step. How do I find a moment of gratitude in a painful blister?

Thoughts of my oldest son suddenly filled my mind. He is on a 10 day field training exercise while gone for a month (and I miss him terribly) at an ROTC Army Leadership course in Washington. He has been thru basic training and has done many a ruck hike (this means carrying your 50 lb ruck sack in full basic uniform and combat boots) that left his feet blistered, bleeding and sore. Once he had to do 12 miles in less than 3 hours. Suddenly, I was filled with gratitude for my teensy tiny blister. It made me realize a bit what he goes thru. And while I miss him so much, it made me feel a little closer to him even though he is 1500 miles away.

By the time I got home the blister had stopped hurting. I was grateful for that too.

11 Comments:

  • This weekend I'm doing a 7.5 mile run for my marathon training. This, and what your son is participating in, are things I'll think about to get through my own "blisters".

    By Blogger Spamboy, at 7/17/2008 8:59 AM  

  • Can't imagine how much you must miss him. My own are either going to college this year for the first time, or getting closer to it, and I'll soon be an "empty nester" and Im' not looking forward to it. But I'll try to be grateful for them!

    By Blogger Candy, at 7/17/2008 9:34 AM  

  • Have to look for the positive, I just found out I have ovarian cancer and am thrilled that it was caught early. I guess I could say "why me?" Instead I choose to say "I'm lucky!"

    It's hard for our kids to leave the nest, but they always come back.... usually with dogs, laundry or friends.

    Good to read you again, I took a break and now with my new diagnosis, felt the need to connect with my favorite bloggers!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 7/17/2008 6:07 PM  

  • You know, every once in awhile I get reminded about gratitude and I really think it helps improve your overall quality of life to have that attitude. I tend to stress and worry too much. Thanks for being my reminder this week that I should be thankful. And, I hope the blister gets better!

    By Blogger Crazy MomCat, at 7/17/2008 7:47 PM  

  • I wondered if your son was off at camp again this summer. I hope he's doing well. I'll be thinking of you.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 7/17/2008 11:39 PM  

  • I am grateful that Chris is 'out of the danger zone' and will be back on US soil by the end of this month.

    And band-aids give me blisters. :-)

    Hope your Chris is doing good.

    By Blogger Brenda, at 7/18/2008 3:50 PM  

  • I hope I don't sound like Oprah in this piece.

    And, the son is not overseas. He is here in the states at a Leadership training camp. The overseas stuff will start in about 14 - 18 months.

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 7/19/2008 6:38 AM  

  • I don't know how it would be to have a son away like that, mine is only 8 years old. But he talks about going to the Army, I know how proud you have to be but did you wish inside that he wouldn't, that it wouldn't be your boy? I already do! Good Luck!
    Karoline

    By Blogger Enchanted Willow Design, at 7/19/2008 8:34 PM  

  • Great post! It's very true. I am reading a book about a child soldier in Sierra Leone, and it's really hearbreaking about how he was separated from his family and never saw them again. It's always a blessing to be able to put things in perspective.

    I hope your son does well and he gets home safe and sound very soon!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 7/31/2008 8:52 AM  

  • nice to hear. (I just drifted in from teahouse)

    those putting things in relative perspective help. wish I'd learned that in infancy. maybe only adult minds can do it.

    By Blogger Pearl, at 8/01/2008 12:30 PM  

  • Blister? That's just the universe's way of punishing overachievers.

    By Blogger Shonda Little, at 8/01/2008 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home