DebbieDoesLife

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Working Girl

I started my new job this week and....I LOVE IT! Seriously, I think this is going to be a good fit - keeps me busy, out and about (not locked inside an office all day) and it will be fun.

It's been about 9 years since I was out in the "full-time working world." I thought one thing would have changed.

The use of the word IRREGARDLESS. Did a memo not go out to all people that this is NOT a word?? It is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I have to grit my teeth to not correct someone when I hear them use it.

I went to Louisiana yesterday and I knew I was there when the first person I met said, "Just ax him for your paperwork." Another nails on a chalkboard word for me. At least that one is just an accent? or maybe a dialect? or maybe they really do think the word is ax and not ask.

Irregardless, I have to ax my boss for Spring Break off. Is it bad to start a job and then immediately ask for a vacation?

13 Comments:

  • So what's the job???
    I'm just axing here!
    Irregardlessly awaiting the answer to be LUMBERJACK!
    ; )

    By Blogger Pendullum, at 1/25/2007 8:36 AM  

  • Axing for vacation already?

    I hope you don't get axed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2007 10:07 AM  

  • MAN, I hate irregardless. It's like the double negatives, I hate those too- 'he don't know nobody'. Americans sounds like morons in general to me. Ax, yeah. And whatchoo (what are you) and yer, and... and.... I could keep going.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/25/2007 10:42 AM  

  • Lemme ax you sumthin'

    sure you weren't in brooklyn. cuz we tawk like dat dere too.

    Congratulations on the job (and liking it!)

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 1/25/2007 2:09 PM  

  • Hey, congrats on the new job! Glad to hear you're liking things so far.

    I'm a huge fan of grammatical mistakes because they crack me up. Wisconsinites have some doozies.

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 1/25/2007 2:52 PM  

  • Congrats on the job! Go ahead and put in for your vacation. I've done it plenty of times. What I HAVEN'T done yet is put in my two weeks notice straight off the bat. That would be something new.

    By Blogger Tink, at 1/25/2007 3:10 PM  

  • OJ's daughter, to OJ: "Daddy can I have a sleepover?"
    OJ: "I don't know. Let me ax your mom..."

    (Congrats on the job. Whenever I meet you I gotta rub your head for good luck or something!)

    By Blogger Mignon, at 1/25/2007 9:13 PM  

  • Congratulations on the new job! Go away for a week and you miss all kinds of stuff.

    I'm so happy for you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/26/2007 7:12 AM  

  • I hear lots of 'axes' around here. Makes me kind of nuts too.

    By Blogger Renee, at 1/26/2007 10:43 AM  

  • woo hoo congrats on the job!! lol on the ax!

    By Blogger acaligurl, at 1/29/2007 7:24 AM  

  • "Ax" bothers me as much as "nex."

    By Blogger Arabella, at 1/29/2007 5:56 PM  

  • Ugh..I must apologize for my home state, but we don't all talk like that.

    And my last secretary said "ax" and she was from Staten Island. I guess it's universal!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 1/30/2007 5:45 PM  

  • Supposibly, it's bad form to ax so soon, but I'd try, irregardless. Just be sure to ax nicely.

    By Blogger Annie, The Evil Queen, at 1/31/2007 10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home