DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Update on the Devil Child

I'm happy to say the devil has been exorcised from my house...with antibiotics. David had a sinus infection that had been coming on for the last month. Do you ever reach that point where you ask yourself, "How many weeks HAVE I been doling out the sudafed, dimetapp etc.??

David got put on antibiotics last Friday and already by Monday his teacher told me "big difference!"

Thank you to all who sent good advice and pep talks. I had emails regarding testing and therapy and here is where I am with all that. I have a problem with labeling him. First of all, because he is not in public school so a label there will get you special teachers but not where we are. Second, I don't want him treated differently. Third, I truly believe he will not test out as "anything." I read two books about Aspberger's Syndrome and in the "tests" there he would only hit about 50% of the criteria.

He is not hyper or ADD or mentally whacked. He is a bit introverted and shy but the last I checked that was not a crime or a disorder. It makes it harder for me cuz I am extroverted and anything but shy. I tend to put him into situations that I would like but he doesn't. I am learning to do better at that kind of stuff.

He is a sweet, lovable, incredibly smart kiddo. He looks at the world differently and two years ago my husband and I decided that we didn't want him to be punished for that and so the quest for the "right" school commenced. We found it. A warm, nurturing environment with small classes. They get to study with not only their listening skills but also using their hands and art and all kinds of stuff. They even have animals. There's a deer, goat and sheep for the kids to pet on the playground (penned up). All classes have a class pet and gardening is also a big deal there. Heck, David stays after one day a week to attend a cooking class he signed up for. Its a wonderful place where they kids are all valued and treated as successful. Many of the kids there I recognize as kids who would probably get eaten alive in a large public school setting. Thank God they have found a place where they do not have to worry about getting beat up or made fun of.

Raising kids has got to be the hardest job on the planet. But when you see that smile or know you did good, the paycheck is better than any corporate job out there.

3 Comments:

  • Yea, antibiotics. And Yea, David -future creative genius!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2005 6:32 AM  

  • Why antibiotics? That sounds so interesting. I am new ( couple of weeks) to your site so apologies if I missed it in an earlier post.
    Londoner

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2005 6:40 AM  

  • sorry - I added now that he had a sinus infection!

    By Blogger DebbieDoesLife, at 11/09/2005 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home