DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stayin' Classy



You all know that I am quite the philanthropist. A true "Lover of the People" and because of this intense need to help others I must tell you about a t.v. show. Let's call it what it is - a warning.

The Real Housewives of New York City on BRAVO. I somehow got sucked into this show. Okay, it was storming and I was stupid enough to make cookies (sheet after sheet - it takes forever!) so for a little kitchen company and because the Dog Whisperer was on hiatus or something, I watched.

These have to be the most vapid, selfish, ignorant women in NYC. All of these women are convinced they are "classy" and of the "upper crust" of society. In fact, after a night at the opera, one of the women spent the following morning scouring the New York Times to see if she made "the society pages". Her husband kept telling their 4 year old, Francois (yes, thats what they named their kid AND they try and make him speak french!), that Mommy might be in the society pages.

A different woman (I refuse to learn their names) decided to have a dinner party. She carried her chihuahua around and fussed about seating arrangements (for 6 people....no, did you hear me? FOR 6 PEOPLE WE HAD TO HAVE SEATING ARRANGEMENTS??). Then when they did sit down for dinner they had a whole discussion about what being classy meant. One of the women said it was your ambience. I'm not sure she knows what the word ambience means. I am guessing at her use of this word because with her New York accent it was actually a little hard to tell what she was saying.

Sidebar: Here's my opinion of "class": If you must tell someone you are "classy," chances are you aren't. I hate the word classy. If you must have a discussion of a higher life station then please use a word like sophistication or maybe comment on someone's good taste.

There is nothing redeeming about this show. At least some reality shows are entertaining. I guess I watched a couple of them because I was waiting for something....the punchline? one of the women to be a serial killer?

Hasn't everyone (except for those who practice polygamy in weird sects - then you become reality entertainment on the news) in the world learned that if you are on a reality t.v. show, chances are you are NOT going to look good, smart or normal?? You have to weigh over 400 lbs, have tattoos on every inch of skin, give birth to a litter of children, be a midget, be willing to swap your wife, have bratty kids, live on an island, eat bugs or.....what? Have I left out anything?? If a reality show comes calling remember the words many of us grew up on....Just Say No.

8 Comments:

  • I agree! This show is awful! There is absolutely nothing redeeming about any of these women. I have enjoyed, on occassion, their west coast counterparts, but pleeeeease spare me these vapid and useless women. I think the word "classy" fits them to a tee.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2008 6:46 PM  

  • I like to use the word klassy with a 'k.' It's just that much klassier that way.

    (And please tell me the woman on the far right is ... that's a man, right?)

    Also, I want to throw red paint on their fur lapels. Well, I'd be too scared to do it in real life, but I'd clap if I saw someone else do it.

    By Blogger Jess Riley, at 4/25/2008 1:29 PM  

  • Davey and I make fun of them all of the time. Did you know that Francois' brother is named Johan?
    Davey likes his names better...French Frank and German John

    By Blogger names aren't important, at 4/25/2008 2:37 PM  

  • My New Year's resolution is to never again waste time watching anything that has the word 'housewives' in it...even when it's so obvious that network tv programmers have no clue about what housewives really do...or don't do. And one thing they don't do is work outside the home.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/27/2008 11:49 PM  

  • You need to read Tom Wolfe's novel, Bonfire of the Vanities, which completely satirizes NY's social order. It's also a great story--keeps you turning pages.

    And then there's The Nanny Diaries. Another book that sticks it to the hyper-competitve, social climbers in Manhattan.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/28/2008 6:25 AM  

  • Here's my opinion of "class": If you must tell someone you are "classy," chances are you aren't.

    Methinks you're right.

    By Blogger mamatulip, at 4/28/2008 9:46 AM  

  • So glad I do not have cable...

    By Blogger Pendullum, at 4/28/2008 5:03 PM  

  • I also got sucked into this show. As a New Yorker, I thought, "Oh, gee, this might be fun to watch, since they live in my city!" WRONG! Those women are so icky...

    By Blogger teahouse, at 4/28/2008 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home