DebbieDoesLife

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Orientation

Nothing quite like realizing you forgot to put anti-perspirant/deodorant on in the morning...at lunch time....with a car load of clients.

On a totally different note:

I got into a conversation with my college-age and high school age sons recently. They were discussing all of the lesbians in their schools. This lifestyle choice has become quite prevalent in their generation. My 9th grader has seen girls kiss each other in the hallway at his school. But, even my boys said, it is more like the girl's just "try it because its there."

To use my fav phrase, "Back in the day", I DO NOT remember this being a valid option to get your groove on. I didn't even find out what "gay" was until I was in like 8th grade! (I know, I know, small town, Oklahoma....) But here is my point, I don't remember thinking that any girls (or guys - okay, there was one and I think he probably did turn out to be gay but I don't think he was acting on it in high school) were getting their groove on in the locker room. There was no "girl-on-girl" action in my school.

What is your take on this? Did this go on openly at your school? Of course, it may depend on your age I guess but my point is this: has this become something to experiment with just because it is openly known and discussed in our society today? I'm not judging it unless I am from a parental point of view that I don't think teenagers should be having sex with anybody, male or female, until they are old enough to handle the responsibility and emotions that go along with it.

12 Comments:

  • There was absolutely no gay stuff going on in my high school, but that was when we chiseled our homework on stone tablets, so I dunno.

    My daughter, now 17, was best friends with a self-proclaimed lesbian as a Freshman, and got herself a similar monicker even though she wasn't so inclined. She isn't friends with her any longer, and I often wonder if she just didn't like being labeled a lesbian.

    By Blogger Candy, at 10/03/2007 8:18 AM  

  • Sometimes boys exaggerate. Especially if it gets a reaction from a grownup.
    I know a few adult women who said they experimented with girlfriends when they were teenagers. It's no big deal to them now. They don't seem to be gay or even bisexual.
    Of course they might have been trying to get a reaction out of me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/03/2007 8:32 AM  

  • Small town here too. And yes, I suspected that there were gay kids at my school but no one and I mean NO ONE came out until college or later!

    By Blogger Renee, at 10/03/2007 9:54 AM  

  • I was in High School in the Early 90s and it was definitely something that was going on, but it was hidden. A good lesbian rumor could ruin a girl's chance at an invite to a sleep over.

    I went to college in 1995. In college it was "cool" to "experiment"

    By Blogger Type (little) a aka Michele, at 10/03/2007 10:13 AM  

  • I don't know if my opinion counts, since I was in HS only six years ago. But my school was pretty open to it. There were a lot more gay guys then there were girls.

    By Blogger Tink, at 10/03/2007 3:23 PM  

  • Yeah, I didn't know any lesbians in high school, but when I went to my 10th reunion a couple of years ago, there were about a dozen girls who showed up with their lesbian life partners. Who knew?

    By Blogger teahouse, at 10/03/2007 6:13 PM  

  • I graduated HS over 30 yrs ago. Back then, I wouldn't of kissed my boyfriend in the halls for all the tea in China. No one I knew even showed any PDA (personal display of affection)of any kind. Not even holding hands. The closest we got was leaning against their locker.. talking.. hoping to get a Friday night date. I didn't know anyone gay nor did I suspect anyone of being gay.... gay back then meant..HAPPY!

    By Blogger Brenda, at 10/03/2007 7:55 PM  

  • I grew up in small town Montana. I graduated 20 years ago. Stuff like this was whispered about, but never overt.

    Given that my 13 year old daughter told me a month ago that she was bi-sexual, I'm inclined to believe it's more of a fad, part of the young life experimentation, doing what feels good, thing.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/04/2007 3:30 PM  

  • Our high school was pretty chaste in those regards -- then again, we only had 131 people, so the odds weren't completely against those attempting to same-sex couple amongst one another. I imagine it's more open now.

    By Blogger Spamboy, at 10/05/2007 3:23 AM  

  • I'm 36 and when I graduated high school in 1989, there were a few kids that we all knew were gay, both boys and girls, but none of them were openly gay and none had boyfriends or girlfriends at school. Even in college I can't remember very many openly gay students.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/05/2007 7:27 PM  

  • Everything is more open now. I think all kids, at one time or another, develop same-sex crushes. A girl kissing a girl doesn't constitute lesbianism. Teenagers might have harbored desires to experiment in our day (and maybe they even acted on it), but shame was a handy tool that was used to keep our generation from even thinking about sex...regardless. Now? kids act on those crushes, which shouldn't be confused with a person's actual sexuality. And real attraction to one gender or another is something that no one chooses. It just is. I'm uncomfortable with young kids acting in sexual ways regardless of whether they were born gay or straight. Kids should just be kids for as long as they can.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/09/2007 9:56 PM  

  • Okay, back in my day and we're talking waaaay back here, high school in the 70's I didn't even know what "gay" was! I remember hearing someone say that a science teacher was a "homo" and had no idea what they were talking about.

    In my senior year I worked at a flower shop and got a job as a designer at the MGM Hotel. The other designer was flaming gay, and his "Partner" came in and gave him a kiss and hug. I was mortified. Didn't know what to do. I left for lunch and never went back. Not even for my pay check!

    By Blogger PEACE, at 10/10/2007 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home