DebbieDoesLife

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The New Year

The joys of a new school year.

* Trying to get kids to go to bed at a reasonable hour.
* Waking them up at an unreasonable one.
* Trying to find a spiral notebook with all of the "right" accoutrements!
* Open house

Tonight was Open House at the high school. The husband and I got to walk the schedule of our child. It always bring back memories of my school days. Mainly, how frickin' hard it is to get to class with only 5 minutes in between! Especially, when I run into people I haven't seen in forever and we MUST catch up!!

Teachers can still be dorks. First hour teacher. He made us recite what he makes the kids recite EVERY DAY. It was something about integrity, blah, blah, blah and ended with "I will have a great day!" When I was in 9th grade this would not have MADE me have a great day and it certainly does not work now.

It came home to me though that my sons are horrible story tellers. I had not heard that the first hour teacher was so retentive or that the English teacher was an Amazon, or that the coach has a port wine stain on his face the size of a coaster. I know that when I was in school I would have come home and described these things to my mother, not to make fun, but so that my mother would have a "picture" of my day at school.

The Open House was good though since we did discover the son had a 50 term literary paper due the next day. The teacher gave them plenty of time (1 week) to get it done. She explained that she had really griped at them that day and over 50% had not even started and planned to do it that night of Open House. So, I texted my son. And, much to my dismay he was in the 50% who had not started until last night. He tried to go down the "she didn't give us much time!" but I had been to Open House and could not be fooled!

6 Comments:

  • He makes them recite something each morning?! Oh heck no. I would have been the one to reword it to mean something against the teacher.

    By Blogger Tink, at 9/05/2007 3:21 PM  

  • Gulp! Both our middle school and high school Open Houses are next week. Wonder what I'll learn!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/05/2007 5:29 PM  

  • LOL Too cute that your son tried to slip one past you, even though you were at the open house! That's what I call optimistic. ;^)

    By Blogger B.E.C.K., at 9/05/2007 11:53 PM  

  • Hahahaha. I remember when my parents had to go to those parent/teacher conferences. I hope your son got his paper done!

    By Blogger teahouse, at 9/06/2007 8:37 PM  

  • Ah procrastination. It's my middle name. I like to say I work better under pressure. Maybe your son does too?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/07/2007 10:27 AM  

  • I yelled at my own brand-new Freshman last night for waiting until 10:30 PM to try to use turnitin.com to submit a paper he had written at 4PM, only to find the website down. He was a basketcase, and didn't sleep all night worrying about it. I will not, however, pretend that that lesson has been learned. Oh no, we'll be doing that one again, I'm sure.

    By Blogger Candy, at 9/10/2007 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home